Chapter 39: 10-32

*Shay's POV*

My alarm clock went off, and I accidentally knocked it down to the floor as I tried shutting it up. The worst part about it was that I never actually got it to stop blaring that annoying tune, and now it was beyond my reach. Ughhhhhhhh, fine! I'll get up now. Sheesh. I huffed, got out of bed, and located my alarm, turning it off. After a long yawn, I stretched my body, feeling my muscles react to that movement. Ahhh, yep! That hit the spot and felt great! I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and sent Devin a good morning text; her reply made me smirk.

Devin: "Good morning to you, too, Batman."

Shay: "Are you going to call me that from now on or something? LOL."

Devin: "Maybe. ;)"

Shay: "Haha, whatever you say, Robin. I'm going to hop in the shower now. I should be ready to leave soon."

Devin: "Same. I'll let you know when I'm on my way."

While strutting to my bathroom, my grin never faded, and it rarely ever did when Devin was around. She has this way of making me so damn happy. I hope it's the same for her, and hopefully, one day, I can stop being a chicken wuss and ask her out. It has been great since my partner offered and was more than happy to pick me up on our really early shifts. We've gotten so close so fast; I know a lot of that is because of trust. As police officers, we put our lives on the line and trust that our partner has our back.

Not just with some of the high-pressure encounters Dev and I have gotten into, but... she has always been there to help and support me and those I care about. Especially with Bailey many months ago; she immediately helped me research the vile woman, Victoria. It's safe to say that I fully trust her. I can tell by the way she looks and interacts with me; she trusts me, too, though... Sometimes, I can't place why she smiles and stares at me the way she does. I know that she's caught me doing the same to her. Maybe that means something; maybe she likes me, like for real, for real? Oh, I hope that it comes true on all things powerful and amazing. As those thoughts continued to fill my mind, I hopped into the shower and began getting ready.

~

As soon as I was done, dressed, and good to go, I texted Devin.

Shay: "Robin, Batman is ready for pickup!! Bring the Batmobile front and center; don't forget the Bat-tazer, Bat-cuffs, Bat-Ammunition, and the Bat-guns, of course."

Devin: "You are something else. Don't change who you are, okay? Oh, and I'm already on my way too."

Shay: "I am everything else, and honestly, I don't think I can change, even if I tried my damnest, hahaha!!"

Shay: "Aaaaaaand, who's on their way?"

Devin: "Robin."

Shay: "Heh, that's what I thought."

Shay: "I'll see you soon, Dev. Drive safe!"

Devin: "You got it, Shay."

When my partner pulled up to the driveway, I turned off the lights and exited the house, locking it on my way out. I was soon in our patrol car, and we were on our way to get our usual morning coffee and donuts. Once we arrived, I was about to hop out of the vehicle to go in and order our stuff, but Devin quickly placed her hand on mine, stopping me. Oh my god, she's touching me again! I love how her hand feels so soft and warm, especially since I am always so goddamn cold all the time... We are so perfect. I looked at her, hoping she couldn't read my face or inner ramblings, but she ended up saying, "Relax, I just want to get it this time."