Chapter 22: Questions

*Bailey's POV*

When I awoke, I first noticed how close I was to Parker, and a smile found its way across my lips. I could feel how difficult it was to produce a full-blown smile with my swollen face, but it didn't stop me from trying. My teacher was sleeping soundly, even above the covers, and had turned to face me at some point while she rested. As I looked at her tattooed arms and neck, I began to remember what had happened to me the night before.

I actually stood up to Victoria, then she hit my head a few times, and right as I was about to lose consciousness, I felt my arm stinging. She had injected me with an unknown substance or drug. Then, she laughed maniacally, stabbing the knife in my thigh, which pushed me past my body's threshold. I was out cold for a little while until she somehow brought me out of it. The fear within me was so vivid once I realized I couldn't move; it freaked me out on a whole new level.

She spent the next few minutes beating every inch of me to a pulp. I couldn't move, fight, or anything; I was entirely at her mercy... I kept replaying Parker's kind voice, referring to me as 'sweetheart' to stop thinking about my living agony. When Victoria pulled the knife from my thigh and proceeded to stab it right back in for a second time, I screamed. I felt delirious after that, and I swear I heard Parker for real. As it turned out, I literally heard her... she really came for me. When I opened my eyes and focused, I saw her sitting before me, protecting me.

I constantly went in and out of consciousness, but I remember important moments that stuck out. It was all so fucking fast too. Victoria slapped Parker, then raised a gun at her head; it scared the shit out of me. Someone tackled Victoria, and another person entered, helping Parker and me. I heard sirens, then paramedics; the rest was a blur until I woke up seeing my teacher next to me in a hospital room. We hugged, and I never felt safer than being in her arms. Oh, and I also met Shay, and I had put it together right then that she was the one who tackled my ex. I need to thank her.

A while later, in the early morning, we reached, what I assumed, was Parker's house, and all I wanted to do was sleep. My body ached all over, and soon, I was brought into a guest room. My professor aided me onto the bed, so I didn't have to overexert myself. She and Shay shared a nice moment together, comforting each other after such an eventful evening. Part of me felt bad because it was my fault they were in a life-or-death situation. I know that if I were to say that to Parker, she would kindly tell me not to think that way.

When Parker returned and closed the bedroom door, I asked if she would stay with me until I fell asleep. She nodded and pointed to the empty side of the bed next to me. I told her yes, and she got herself comfy above the covers and leaned back against the pillows. I did the same. We were silent for a long time, but soon enough, she asked me how I was. I gave her an honest answer that I was okay but in a lot of pain. That seemed to remind her about something because she quickly got out of bed, telling me she'd be right back.

She returned with a pill bottle and a first-aid box. My teacher told me my bandages would need to be cleaned when we woke up and wanted to offer me some pain medication the doctor prescribed. I wanted them, and after consuming the appropriate amount, she told me it might make me sleepy, which I didn't mind. All I cared about was her staying with me. With that, she reassured me she wouldn't leave me, and it was at that moment I figured she had a second superpower, mind reading.

Once the medicine was in me and the constant pain dissipated, it didn't take long for me to fall asleep. Knowing she was there with me also helped, as I knew I wouldn't be attacked in my sleep any longer. Even as I remembered the events from the night before, I never stopped looking at Parker. She's so damn beautiful, and—

Suddenly her eyes were open, looking into mine. Instantly, I blushed because I was practically checking her out, whether she knew it or not. Without making it known that she might have caught me staring at her, she said, "Good morning, Ms. Adams. I take it you slept well?"