Prologue: Young Love

A/N: pay attention to dates.

June 2008

June 2008

I'm clutching my knees to my chest as momma detangles my hair; trying my best to hold back the tears that might fall out.

"Ow, ow, ow!" I cry with every yank.

Momma is grunting as she attempts to comb my hair, "well if you wasn't trynna look like a damn boy all the time your head wouldn't be so nappy!"

Daddy walks by, "be nice to my daughter."

"She needs to be nice to me, ain't no way in hell she's ten years of age and can't comb her own damn head out!" She continues to comb out each and every curl.

I bury my head in my hands.

She's right. Today's wash day.

I knew this day was coming, yet I didn't do anything to prepare for it. Though it really isn't all my fault, I've been busy helping momma move into this new house.

"And if she wasn't so busy staring at that lil boy across the street..."

That too.

"Momma, how much longer?" I cry out. "It shouldn't hurt this much."

My dad comes over, "Let me have a go at it, sweetie."

Momma reluctantly hands dad the comb. She hates when he one-ups her.

Instantly, my scalp doesn't feel as swollen as it did with Momma. My dad is gentle with my hair, he says it's his favorite thing about me.

I know I'm close to being finished once my butt begins to hurt. Daddy's letting me pick out which bow I want to wear today.

I choose pink. My favorite color.

Once Daddy gives me permission to get up, I run straight to the bathroom.

I can hear Momma from a distance.

"How come she doesn't do all that whining with you?"

"Because I'm not heavy-handed."

"Mhm... I think it's favoritism."

I smile at my reflection in the mirror.

One, because I love my hair. Daddy has it in a curly bun with two strands hanging down. The pink bow sitting all pretty at the top.

Two, because I know he's gonna love it.

The boy across the street. I don't know his name yet, but I will today.

Quickly, I run to my room to check off anything Momma may use as a delay to keep me from going out.

Everything looks clean, I even made my bed.