30%

May 2014

May 2014

I'm riding with Stokeley to the gas station.

I'm hungry and he wants a pack of cigarettes.

"How are you gonna get this shit without being of age?"

He flashes a fake I.D. at me and laughs, "You're so new to this shit." He says referring to my innocence. 

"I'm getting there," I say with furrowed eyebrows.

It isn't my intention to get into too much trouble with them. But I want to have a little fun and fit in.

He parks and follows me inside the gas station.

I thank him for holding the door and enter, taking in my surroundings heavily.

There are so many snacks to choose from; the fact that it's one of those fancy gas stations with a slushy machine and food cooking on a rational heater doesn't make it any better.

I walk over to the chip aisle first. I fuck with sodium way more than glucose.

"Get whatever you want," Stokes says appearing from nowhere.

I tilt my head up, "Only saying that shit because you know I have to pay for it."

"I forgot my wallet at the store."

"Which store?"

"All of them. I don't own a wallet."

I shake my head and grab a bag of hot chips. We go to the candy aisle and look at the options.

I watch as Stokeley pockets a pack of gum and Skittles.

"Should I be doing that too?" I ask.

He shrugs, "You look like the type that would turn yourself in and pay double while apologizing." He walks off to the counter.

I skim the area, it's pretty much empty and Stokes is distracting the only employee.

Biting my lip, I shove some purple Skittles into my hoodie pocket and make my way to the counter.

"Good afternoon," the cashier says. I mumble it back and put my chips in front of him.

"Will that be all?"

"Yes, sir." Stokeley taps my shoulder. "And his cigarettes," I sigh.

"Ten ninety-one."

I hand him my card and wait for it to be approved. He hands it back and wishes us a good day, "Thank you."

As we exit the store, a mother of three kids walks in. I have to push past Stokeley to make it out.

He laughs lowly, "Told you, you wouldn't do it." We get in the car and I open my chips.

I shove a few hot fries in my mouth.