35%

September 2014

September 2014

Ever since the situation with my mother, Jahseh's been different.

He's been less affectionate with me, less outgoing, less... Jahseh.

We smoke together every now and then but even that feels off.

He's quieter and constantly working on his music.

All of the times I've tried to remind him to not overwork himself, he just chuckles and kisses me.

Stokeley's said he's noticed the same thing.

We moved in with Stokeley after Momma kicked us out. His parents are barely ever home so it works out.

Stokeley passes me a blunt. I hit it, let it sit, inhale, hold, then exhale.

"You're doing the quick method. Damn, who hurt your feelings?" Stokes jokes trying to lighten the mood.

I give him a weak smile before repeating the same steps.

"Talk to me," he says.

I do one more hit before I pass him the blunt for good. "I think Jah's falling out of love with me."

Stokeley doesn't say a word. I make eye contact with him and notice he's holding in a laugh.

I roll my eyes. "Ain't shit funny, nigga."

"I'm sorry," he laughs. "But you think Jah doesn't love you anymore?" He starts laughing even harder. "Dumbass."

"He isn't the same."

Stokeley shakes his head. "Have you tried talking to him?"

"No. He brushes me off before I get the chance to."

"You should go try. Even if he doesn't listen at first. I'm not good at this relationship shit but," he passes me the blunt mid-sentence, "That nigga loves you more than he loves himself. I'm sure of it."

After I exhale the puff of smoke, I hand it back to Stokeley and stand up. "Yeah," I sigh. "I just wish he'd show it."

He daps me up as I walk past him.

Stokeley's right. I should go talk to Jahseh. Communication is important in relationships. Or at least that's what people preach.

I peek my head through the doorway and see Jahseh sitting at a desk nodding his head to a beat playing through his headphones while muttering lyrics.

I walk in and sit on the desk next to him. Listening as he tries to fit words to match the song. I can't help but smile after seeing the look of concentration resting on his face.

I tap the side of one of his headphones. "Jah?"

He takes it off and looks at me. "Yes? Good morning by the way."