21%

June 2013

June 2013

"Shut the fuck up!" I yell after hitting Zaelyn in the face with a couch pillow.

He fell asleep while waiting for Jah to call back. It was okay til he started snoring at the top of his lungs.

"Sleep quieter. I don't want the whole neighborhood to know you're sleeping."

This entire time I've been laid out on the couch, taking peeks at Zaelyn's phone, waiting for the call.

"He isn't gonna call back until tomorrow you know."

"It's like one am. It is tomorrow," I retort.

"Right, because delinquents in juvenile have the freedom to make phone calls whenever they feel like it."

I side-eye him causing him to laugh in return.

"Aye, you trynna go get something to eat?"

"You have a car?"

"Nah, I walked all the way here from my crib."

"Oh."

He sucks his teeth. "No shit I have a car."

I pull out my phone and start listing the very few restaurant options we have. We agree on IHOP.

I go to put on my shoes and see Zae staring at me with a questionable look. "What?"

"You going out like that?"

I have on a pair of pajama pants and an all-black crop top hoodie. I threw on my Nike slides to go with it. "Yeah, why?"

He sucks his teeth, "if I was you, I wouldn't go out looking homeless."

I flip him off and walk in front of him to go outside. While he starts up his car, I lock the door with my house key.

That's when I finally get a good look at his car. He has a Chevy Camaro painted in all black with black rims parked in front of the garage.

"How could I not have seen this?" I mutter to myself.

Opening the car door, I sit down and take in all the details. It smells amazing and the entire interior looks new and neat.

He reverses the car and drives off.

"This is nice, Zae. How did you afford this?"

"Extra hours at work."

"You have a job?"

"My mom said I'm too old not to have a job."

I open my mouth to speak.

"I'm seventeen." He answers before I can even ask the question.

"I knew that." I lie. "You plan on going to college?"

"If I have to yeah, but I still don't know what I wanna do in life. Just yesterday I was a lil ass jit, now I'm out here paying car notes and shit. I don't know if I'm ready."