Chapter 9

Kai

We buried my dad, Julianna, and Liam in the backyard. We couldn't do anything without Markus and the others getting suspicious. Hazel did the thing we knew she would do; run off. Liam was her world even if it didn't seem like it. Chloe and mom were a wreck but our work wasn't done. Mikayla went on a rampage trying to find Elizabeth, Kailani cut all communication with Cole. I find myself sitting with my uncles in the office as they all looked at me. I was numb to all my senses "Kai it's your choice." Brian says.

      How can I choose to lead my cousins when i'm not even related to them to begin with

      How can I choose to lead my cousins when i'm not even related to them to begin with. Cole slams the desk "I can't sit here and wait for him to choose. My wife is on the hunt for my daughter and my little is dead! We also have Chloe losing her mind!" he yells making me snap back to reality by choking on air. I look at them yelling "I-I'll follow you. I have no one left to blame but me for this." I say making them look at me with curiosity.
      I do blame myself. I knew something was off about her and I played into Liam and his girlfriends game. They straightened up and smile "First things first. We have to get Mikayla, Kai you're with me to get Chloe. If she feeds off of anyone or you see them killed take care of them. Even if alive still." Brian says with a cold look on his face. As we're on the hunt we get thrown off track by Claudia. Cole couldn't smell her because he was focused on Mikayla. I see her whispering into a girls ear and when her head snapped back our eyes meet. She smiles at me then runs off leaving a girl crying full of blood.
      She tried to run after her but I lost her. A couple of days later Gavin gives me a location and time. I find myself in the view of the girl as she's chained inside an open bus. I rip the chains out and she runs after her eyes go white. She whispers Hazels name in her sleep and I call her immediately. After the call I don't see the girl anymore and I panic as I'm supposed to meet with Hazel with the girl in my sights. Ingrid meets me as we start tracking her down before Hazel arrives.
      Ingrid and Hazel exchange words as I hold an unconscious Avery. "Don't ask her that her humanity is off... She'll tear your throat out." I say making her laugh as Avery wakes up. "So why were you with her?" she asks and I smile making a better excuse than involving Claudia. Hazel hates her to death and I know if i bring her up she won't like Avery much. So I stretch the truth just a little by saying "Uhh your mom went on a rampage and she probably let this one go." I point behind he and she pulls a knife to a guys throat. Ingrid takes it from her and I laugh when she says "He's hot."
      I'm completely focused on Avery's breathing and forget I should be asking who the guy is. Until I see his hand raised towards me and we shakes hands. "What happened to not following me holden?" she says making him shrug his shoulders. Ingrid opens her big mouth "Hot name for a hot guy. Lucky you Haze." I try not to laugh. "Not even close... He thinks i'm an open book." she say making Ing hiss through her teeth. "One thing about Haze here... She doesn't talk much. She's like Wednesday Addams." I says making Holden laugh.
Avery woke up and she looked straight at Hazel and started hyperventilating "Hey calm down... We aren't going to hurt you." I say and she calms down. Avery Burke was her name, kind of odd never heard of it. Of course Claudia has a alternate motive bringing Hazel into this.
Ingrid smiles and turns to her to ask "Do you mind if I touch you?" She reluctantly says no and Ingrid takes her hand. Ingrid tells her the truth and all he'll breaks loose in Hazels circle. We took Avery home with us not even asking how she met that Holden guy but now I have to tell the dads.