XXIII : Be my guest

On the next day.

I rush running through the halls of the school towards the exit. I promised Joshua to meet him at the bar down the street. I almost forgot about that. Although if I run fast enough I could make it on time. Even if my muscles are tired they haven't been at rest for a long time. I still run a few minutes pushing the limits so that I arrive in time. I feel like my lungs are going to explode. I haven't run like this for a long time. finally, I arrive in front of the entrance my legs are ready to give in to tingling. I try to catch my breath before pushing open the heavy bar door with what little strength I have left. When I join them, Joshua seems surprised to see me. Is it because I'm so late? I'm very confused however turns out he's looking over my shoulder. There's probably someone. Once I turn around I am surprised to see Ash standing right behind me. What is he doing here?

"Hey princess."

We sit across from Joshua and...Alex- I didn't expect her to be here as well. Barely seated a waitress joins us and offers us the menu. I glance furtively at it as the waitress squirms next to Ash. Although I am trying not to pay attention to it. Ash offers me to place a secret order. He seems to be a regular here- to know everything on the menu as well even the special recipes. We keep talking about the tournament, about cars. Ash tells plenty of anecdotes about his many races. how many did he have? I'm curious to know. Alex is very enthusiastic too. and Joshua looks at her with great pride and tenderness. I always see Joshua smiling but there the brightness of his smile is incomparable. He laughs at almost every joke every second. Ah, it looks like they are on their honeymoon. Awkward.

Their stories are progressively relieving my anxiety and my worries are dissolved in the drinks and food. My heart feels lighter around them. One thing for sure is that every around that table is having a very good time. My body tense up until a hand brushes my thigh. Ash looks at me I smile back at him to make him stop but he doesn't let go. I take advantage that the two lovebirds in front are talking to each other to whisper to him.

" What are you doing ?"

" Nothing."

He replied with an innocent tone. He does it on purpose frankly. This is no time for joking. I replacechis hands and he apologizes. I hope he understood ¹clearly what I meant. I try to create a diversion by broaching a subject all of us can talk about. Movies. Our taste in cinematography is surprisingly similar. Action, comedy, drama...Good oldies or newbies. I prefer the classics. The nostalgic feeling I get from it is one of the best. And contrary to what one might think it is strangely comforting. About an hour later Alex and Joshua announce their departure. I get up with them followed by Ash. Once we get outside

" What were you doing just now?" I shout at him reproachfully.

" Teasing you."

He conceded with the same innocent tone. uch. Teasing me seems to be his favorite hobby lately. Unfortunately, I haven't been in a joking mood these past few days. I have to concentrate so as not to derail the plan. I turn my back on him before he grabs my arm to hold me back.

"He doesn't know?"

" None of your concern."

" Your best friend should at least now."

" Since when are you a friendships coach."

" I recently received my certificate with the greatest honors."

" I will get going," I replied before heading back home.

Two days later.

A party in the middle of the week. What are they thinking? I have been testing mom's patience lately she doesn't like me staying out all night. We barely get to see each other these days. Not like we were always together. I have been used to her absence. Her work was since forever the main priority. It was Ricky who used to stay with me all day long until he passed away. It doesn't bother me anymore that she's not home even during the holidays. Although I'd rather not confront her.

I carefully open the door before sneaking out. Walking decisively towards the car. Once comfortably installed I start in the direction of their house. It takes me about three-quarters of an hour before arriving three-quarters of an hour during which I try to persuade myself not to turn around. I don't know what to expect. The stress increases as I get closer to their neighborhood. The driveway is filled with cars and strangers. I struggle to find an available parking space. Five minutes later I finally find one despite several detours.

I make my way between several people I don't quite know even though their faces are familiar to me. I surely saw them at the tournament nothing more. My heart races when I walk into the yard. A lump seems to form in my stomach pressing hard against the wall of my abdomen as I pass the doorway.
I hesitate to return fortunately that Silver sees me and comes to welcome me warmly. This house is very different from how I had found it a few days before. Although there arere many people around the temperature are harshly cold. Silver goes on to introduce me to those known strangers. They are surprised to see me around even if they remain respectful.

I wonder where Kim could be. I have been sitting here for at least ten minutes although I haven't seen in since I arrived. Talking about a guest. I wonder how many people were invited or not. I doubt he would have easily gathered that amount of casual racers. It's practically impossible that all of them are his friends. Did he invite them to show off? They don't seem to be bothered by his absence. Most of them are focused on the dancing, the music, and the drinks completely unfazed while Silver is going back and forth with cases of beer and other soft drinks. He is on his third delivery. I decide to follow him to offer him my help which he accepts to my surprise. He points out a huge esky* at the back of the kitchen. when I open it I see that it is empty. apart from the snow on the inner wall. in any case no traces of drinks neither beer nor soda nor even a bottle of water.

At the moment a silhouette forms in the frame of the kitchen door. Kim leans against the wall with a sigh. He doesn't seem to be enjoying the evening.

"Quick we don't have any drinks left. Dimitri and his acolytes can disembark at any time."

Was it the same Dimitri who attacked us last week? That bully. I heard he was the toughest opponent Kim had to deal with. Not because he's gifted or anything but because he's extremely violent. They are never on good terms so why are they even invited?

" Matthew go with Kim to get some drinks at the station."

I give him a nod of approval and follow Kim out of the room. He stops for a moment in front of the living room where most of his guests are. He looks disgusted but quickly passes on his way.

" Should we take the car?" I ask him to change the subject. "It will be faster.

"No." He says to me in a tone that calls for no response. "We walk."
______________________________________

Thank you for reading !!!

A quick meeting with Joshua and Alex. However there's a unexpected guest-Ash.
Also it seems as if Matthew is keeping more than one secret away from Joshua. Should he this time again try to open up more to his best friend ?
But more importantly be honest with himself

Hoping Matthew will be able to be a bit more patience as well until he achieves his goal.

PARTY TIME

Matthew is at his first party at Kim's house. They are a lot people but it doesn't seem that family friendly. Why did they even invited them?
Silver asked Kim and Matthew to get so drinks nearby in order to prevent the night to turn into a disaster. Who know what could happen if they get so angry at not being served that they get physical.

For now Kim and Matthew are on their first mission together will that help our MC to know more about his opponent. This is surely a great opportunity. However Kim's strong barriers are not easy to break. What tactic could he use to get him to open up easily to get more information from the source itself.

From the start Kim made it clear that he didn't come here to chat since he only use short answer. Hoping Matthew will have the patience to wait and continue his approche until his shells break.

Ps: There's two chapters this weekend. Make sure you check out both.

I am looking forward to reading your comments.

See you next week.

Vicky❤️