XXXVII : Betrayal

I squint my eyes tilting my head a little.
How did he know that it was a trap? I haven't told him about what happened yesterday yet. Does he have a crystal ball or something? I cannot think about more things. My head feels as if it is on the verge of exploding. Honestly, I have been on autopilot for a while now. Thinking about all these questions hurts more than crying over math problems.

" I said too much..." Ash whispered while forcing a low and embarrassed giggle.

Did he?

" Maybe it is not the best to proceed with the plan.."

" What do you mean?"

" Kim might be the target but he had nothing to do with Ricky's..."

" This bastard is the worst. We cannot let him continue living a peaceful  life after all that he did?"

" HE DID NOT DO IT."

" WHY DO YOU TRUST HIM?"

Why do I believe his words? I can't even understand it myself. I have always wanted to avenge my brother. Winning against Kim was since then my ultimate goal. Thus Kim is the possible culprit for his death. I could never picture it. I never expected to be him. I did not know how to act accordingly. I spent weeks with a weight that compressed my chest. Making it difficult for me to breathe properly. However this pain mysterious disappeared as soon as he told me that he did not do it. At the same moment, I trust his words. Tk him he was finally telling the truth and my mind decided to believe him.

" Kim told me what happened. He was not there. Silver even confirmed it."

" KIM IS LYING TO YOU."

Ash pauses for a moment before continuing.

" He is trying to confuse you to destabilize you. Don't forget. You want to take his place."

" Why would he do that?"

" Matthew trust me. Kim is not who you think he is. He did things that..."

" I don't care about. All I want is to keep my promise to my brother. Thus I will not accuse him nor hurt him when he is innocent. "

He violently hits the counter, shouting.

" HE IS NOT INNOCENT."

I jump, startled. His face is consumed by anger. His eyes are bloodshot. His fists are firm and his breathing is jerky. I retreat by stepping back slightly. The expression from earlier is back. Except for this time it says longer. So I didn't imagine it. Almost as if a completely different person was standing in front of me. I do not recognize him anymore. More than everything I do not understand why.

" Why are you so obsessed with him anyway?"

" You also promised to help me, Matthew."

" I do not know if I want to go along with this crazy plan. "

" NO."

" Since you have so much resentment against him...  you should deal with him directly. "

" We were almost there."

" No. YOU were almost there. I don't even know why I agreed to join you in the first place. You're obsessed. This entire plan is madness. "

He tries to say something but he hesitates. He stammers. However, no proper word comes out of his mouth. Only inaudible sounds.

" I think...We should keep our distance for a while. Until you can calm down and come to your senses."

I hollered while heading towards the door. In a few great strides, I arrive at the entrance as soon as I reach out my hand to the door handle. Something holds me back, a hand. Hid. He holds my wrist firmly preventing me from moving forward.