XXVII : Trust

"I made some research about him. From what I found out Kim had an invincible rival. He was the first runner-up in the tournament. But something happens. It seems like he disappeared one night. However soon after he's been missing Kim took upon the first place. That was three years ago."

" What was the name of this racer?"

" Unfortunately I couldn't find his real name. He used to race under a pseudo: Turbo."

Turbo. The same name is written on Ricky's card. It couldn't be what I am thinking, could it?

"And you said he disappeared?"

" It was he seems to like. Even if he never came back."

I slowly nod. I had guessed that both of them could have known each other since they were both members of the league around the same time. But thinking they could be actual rivals is whole new information to me that I find hard to swallow.

" What are you saying to me?"

" What do you mean? For our deal of course."

"Right." He slightly tilted his head towards me as if he wanted a real and.

" I also have something about Kim."

" What is it?"

" He hasn't been accepted fully by the league. Some of them are still questioning his position. What I mean by that is that his place is always coveted. Although he tries to buy them and slip them into his pocket so he doesn't try anymore. However, yesterday he finally broke down and turned them all against him. If we could take advantage of this loophole to indirectly bring them back to collaborate with us. Some surely have much more connections and tricks. I don't see why they would refuse. It's to all of our advantages."

" Genius move. I knew I decided to collaborate with the right person." He said enthusiastically, gently cupping my face in his hands, raising my head slightly so he could look at him.

" What's the matter? You don't seem satisfied even though we are on the right track to succeed."

I take a deep breath before starting to explain my thoughts out loud.

" To say the truth... I enter the tournament for a specific reason. Some call it revenge. I call it an honor. My older brother Ricky was one of the best racers in the Ligue. Even if to me he was the best. He also thought me how to drive and he even transmitted to me his passion for racing let's say cars in general. But one night I followed him to the place of the tournament despite having a bad feeling about it. I didn't say anything because I wouldn't risk being discovered. Ricky warned me all the time it was dangerous there. I didn't understand it. If it was so dangerous I didn't understand why he went there every night so much as to risk his life. after a few minutes of following him, I saw that he was ambushed. They took him by surprise, he didn't have time to react because there were too many of them. and I couldn't react because I was too cowardly. I was therefore forced to attend this atrocious scene because of my cowardice. I spent months wondering how I could redeem myself and make him proud of me. it was then that I decided to join the tournament as well to make his dream come true by becoming the #1 in serie A. For now, this place is taken by Kim."

" Oh my God. Why tell me you say that before? If I knew I wouldn't have mentioned that."

" Do you think Kim truly did something to this racer that was mentioned before ?"

" I don't have the evidence yet although I find it rather suspicious that Kim took the place right after he disappeared. Knowing his reputation it's plausible. Him silencing people he thinks of as pure nuisance is nothing new."

" But to get rid of them like that ?"

" He must have been a hell of an opponent representing a real danger for his ascent in the first place." He paused.

" Do you think the two stories are linked?" I asked desperately.

" I will pursue further research about that do not worry. Although I have to ask first. Did you see the face of the people who had assaulted your brother?"

"No. I didn't. They all were covering their faces."

"Okay. As I said you do not have to worry. I'll take care of it." His words were strangely comforting. He held me firmly in his arms until Joshua came back.

" It seems like he's about to rain. We better return home before the flood." Joshua said while entering the car. I buckled my seatbelt once again. Then we drove back home in silence as we rarely see Joshua. Fortunately, we managed to arrive home before the rain barely.

I sat next to my windows to see the rain. Droplets ran down the panes. One reached the bottom before the other caught up with her just as quickly. When the storm arrived I jumped slightly. The plops of rain on the ground were so much more soothing than I thought when I was little. Because before child I hated the rain. In fact when it rained mum wouldn't allow us to play outside. Whereas, inside the house, it was forbidden to run. This is where Ricky's ingenuity came to our aid, pretending to walk on normal ground that liquefied under our feet once danger approached. The general danger was usually mom or a thunderstorm. The only way to escape them was to stay still. We enjoyed this game for hours and I almost forgot the rain. A few minutes later the rain stopped, and the rays of the sun timidly invite themselves into the decor. In the following seconds, a rainbow will appear. The promise of renewal, they say. I would like to believe it this time.

Today I was a nerve-wracking emotional roller coaster. I do feel relieved from a burden. I must have been carrying on for too long. I think about what Joshua said. He must be right. Ash is the first person I have genuinely been curious about for the past three years. And earlier he had shown me so much support. I didn't feel judged while telling him the truth. Maybe I should also take the risk of wanting to trust him as well. To trust him...
______________________________________

Thank you for reading !!!

Matthew had finally told us the whole story about his past. Now we can understand why he felt so guilty.

Could that mean that Ash's informations are true?
Could it be Kim the culprit?

How would Matthew react if Kim turns out to be linked to his brother's death?

See you next week.

Vicky❤️