XL: Hurt

" It would be better if you stayed here for the night," Kim says under his breath.

I pretend not to have heard.

" What did you say?"

" You can stay here for the weekend." He repeated himself with a clearer voice.

" No. I have to go home."

" It's already too late. And it's pouring outside."

" If I don't go home my mother would kill me.." I insist. She warned me multiple times that she want me to stay home too late. She made it very clear last time that it was the last time she'd let it slide. I haven't seen him so angry for a long time. If I didn't want to incur his wrath any longer it would be better to go home now. But how?

" If you go out in a storm like this you'd probably die anyway.."

I hate to admit that he's right. Soon after we finished eating it started to rain again. The downpour was much more violent this time. You could see the leaves of the trees writhing under the pressure of the wind. It would be crazy to stay here however driving in this weather is legit suicide. I hardly accept his offer. I must now muster my strength to call my mother.

I dial the number my mother is shaking slightly waiting for her to answer. the ringtone is long. suddenly she stops I hear her voice.

" Hello, Matthew."
I can hear her yet I can't answer anything what am I going to say to him? Kim grabs the phone that I was holding uselessly in my hand.

" Hello, Ms. Matthew can't come back home tonight because of the rain."

"And who are you?"

"I am one of Matthew's friends."

Huh, my friend?

"What friend? Joshua?"

He doesn't hesitate to say yes. I didn't tell my mother that Joshua was our neighbor. Fortunately. On the other hand, Kim is very convincing.

" Oh Joshua, I am sorry dear. I didn't recognize you right away. How are you doing?"

" I am doing fine thank you. How have you been?"

" I have been well dear. I hope we can see you soon. Why don't you come home one of these days?"

" Yes. I will. Take care. Have a great evening."

" Take care dear. "

They talk as if they were long-time friends. Even I am stunned by his acting skills. Nevertheless, I can't help to be slightly jealous. His voice had calmed when he spoke to him. A sweetness that I had never heard or seen coming from him. He is always so impassive. No raw emotions can pass through him. At least that's what I thought. I smile back at him. He returns the phone to me, staring into my eyes. I hate that look. my smile freezes and I turn my back on him. I now need to contact Joshua.

In what city situation have I got myself? Oh, forgive me, Joshua. after several attempts to call him, I always get his voicemail. I, therefore resign myself to writing him a message briefly explaining the situation. I hope he will understand and especially that he will read the message before next year. I doubt Joshua is sleeping at this hour. He's probably with his girlfriend. I immediately stop thinking any longer.

" Here. Have this." His unshakable tone has returned.

" Thanks. "

A few hours later.

I have to go to sleep. My eyes can barely stay open. The urge to sleep can win over you at any time. I shan't collapse right now. I'd be too pathetic. Silver told me that he'd get one of the rooms ready for me.