Chapter 23:

I didn't want to leave my bed this morning, my body was sore and Jace was sleeping soundly next to me. I stared at my beautiful boyfriend, his long dark eyelashes gracing his cheeks as he slept. I planted a soft kiss on his forehead. I looked at the clock which read six. I slowly got out of bed and stretched. I walked to the window and looked out. The sky was still dark. I climbed out and up the ladder; the cold air hit me instantly. I didn't care; I wanted to get one last look at my home before going away. I sat in my usual spot on the roof. I could see the sun rising in the distance. I heard shifting behind me and I felt a blanket get draped over me.

"Look the sun is rising." I said quietly.

Jace sat next to me, his eyes following mine to the distance.

"Babe, it's chilly out here." He said softly, pulling the blanket around both of us.

"It's beautiful." I said, not taking my eyes off the sunrise. I watched as the shimmering gold disk shone through the town. I sat there drinking in the liquid gold droplets that slowly began to warm up my pale skin, a moment later; I saw the golden sun sitting in its rightful place among the soft blue morning sky. I felt Jace's eyes on me but I didn't look away from the breathtaking view.

"You're beautiful." Jace said, turning my head and kissing me gently. I pulled away quickly; I couldn't stop the tears from breaking free and drowning me.

"Baby," Jace said, "What's wrong?"

He cupped my face between his hands.

"I'm scared. I'm so fucking scared."

"Shh, it's going to be okay." He said quietly, wiping away my tears. "Everything will be okay."

"No, Jace. I'm so scared. I'm scared of not knowing what's going to happen to me: scared of not knowing what's going to happen between you and me when I walk out that door." I sighed with frustration.

"Nothing is going to happen between us. Everything is going to be okay. I'll be here when you leave and I'll be here when you get back. Nothing is going to change. Not even the Gods above can get between you and I. You're going to be okay."

I looked away.

"I know what it feels like to miss someone so much, it hurts more than anything. I don't want to leave you with that feeling. I can't do it."

"Zoë, stop it. I love you so much that it hurts. We are in this together; I made that promise when I asked you to be my girlfriend. I'm not going anywhere. Yeah, I'll miss you like crazy but I'll get by, we both can do this. Baby, I believe in you."

"I love you so much." I cried.

"I love you too, through everything."

"Always" I smiled, turning to him.

"I don't think I could have done this without you." I said softly.

"Well, you don't have too." He said.

We sat there a little longer before going back in.

***

The car pulled up and my bag was packed and by the door. The hardest part was saying goodbye to my life and my world. Sarah was the first to come up to me. I bent down to her level.

"I love you so much, little sis." I said to her, "Once I get back we will have a girls day with the other girls and maybe a sleepover. Would you like that?"

"Very much so." She said, smiling through her tears. "I will miss you so much." Her little arms wrapped around me

"I'll miss you too." I said, hugging her tightly. She backed up and mom stepped up.