34. The right leader

The goalie made his decision.

He went over to Canard, handing over the mask, "I thought about it and I think you are the better leader. Please be the team captain again." His friend accepted, but felt a little uneasy about the situation, "Are you really sure about this? Does it have anything to do with your girlfriend?"

"I want to have a normal relationship with her, without going off to missions or saving the world."

That is what Canard has feared, "Just because you give me the mask, doesn't mean you are off the hook. We came here for only one thing and one thing only: Capture Dragaunus and getting back to Puck world."

"Why can't you just leave me here?! I am happy with N/A."

Wild wing didn't think of all the problems that will come his way. Without the team, he won't be able to play hockey, it is the only thing he is good at. Tanya got into contact with a biology professor, aware that he is capable to have children with me. Will the humans ever accept him as husband and alien duck? Alone he may have some difficulties to get on with life. Canard gave him the idea to take me with him, but then, I would have the same problems the other way around. Wild wing wants this to work somehow, but doesn't find a solution that makes it easier for both of us.

"Wild wing!" Mallory interrupted their conversation, having buzz with her, "The Saurians got Duke, Nosedive and N/A. Apparently Phil was Chameleon at the time."

Canard got angry, "I hate this shape-shifting lizard!"

The rest of the team got together, asking the goalie for the next order. Wild wing shook his head, pointing at his old friend, "Canard is our team leader and you have to ask him from now on." No one asked for the reason of that, just accepting it like it was. Their new team leader has already a plan, for this he needs a device Tanya had invented recently, "Install it to the front of the Aerowing, we will launch in ten minutes." Mallory wanted to know what this thing was for. Canard explained that it is some kind of scanner, taking in unusual waves from every building. It can only do twenty building at once, so it might take some time to find the raptor this way. Buzz wanted to offer his genius knowledge to track down the Saurians like he has done with me, but Canard didn't want to listen. He finds it best that the boy goes back home, ordering Grin to bring him back. Wild wing did a he was told, getting ready for the mission. It somehow felt odd for the goalie, not being in charge anymore.

Meanwhile at the raptor, the other two ducks of the team were in cages.

I was held by chains around my neck and hands by Siege, "We got her Lord Dragaunus"

"Excellent work; now we can start with plan B, prepare her for the bait." I didn't know what he meant with bait, but the sight of the portal meant nothing good. Whatever dimension he just opened, it revealed strange flowers that look very hungry in my direction. The Saurian Overlord seems to be pleased by the sight, taking the chains off his minion, "I hope you are tasty." With one string push, I feel into the portal, falling in-between the plants, "No wait!!!!"

"Close the portal!"

I had to watch with wide eyes as it disappeared in the sky, leaving me on a planet I never seen or heard of. I don't even know how to get back to earth anymore, seeing no civilization for miles.

Duke and Nosedive couldn't do anything to save me.

Dragaunus had other plans with the ducks, sending Wraith to do his job, "Make sure they are under my control Wraith."

"Yes Lord Dragaunus."

The Aerowing was already above Anaheim, doing its purpose and scan the buildings. Canard used his mask to help out the device. During that time, Wild wing felt awful, constantly worrying about me. Canard assured him that I will be fine, "They probably just taken her hostage, she will be okay."

"That is the reason why I wanted to drop out, so she won't be kidnapped anymore."

Mallory shrugged at this, "Even if this is the case, they would never leave her alone. You are one of the mighty ducks and will ever part of the team."

"Mallory is right Wing; you can't just leave and think that this will all go away."

The goalie hates to admit it, but they were right. He couldn't just quit and pretend that the world would just forget who he was before that. His head hung low, "I know you and N/A don't know each other for so long, but are you even worried about her?"

Canard sighted, "I am Wild wing. We are friends and I am concerned for her safety as much as of Duke and Nosedive, but as a leader I have to think of what is best for the team in general. I can't lead with emotions getting in the way." The goalie nodded, "That is why I quit being the leader."

The others had listened to the conversation, understanding both sides and their motives. They had to go with Canard as their team captain. Wild wing didn't want to wait till they found the raptor, wanting to search for it alone. Before he could even get near the door, Canard stopped him, "I told you before, as your leader it is my responsibility to keep you all safe. It would be irresponsible if I just let you go on your own."

"I don't care!"

Canard knows his old friend, knowing that he cannot stop him with words, "Fine, take Tanya with you, we see each other at the raptor."

"Thank you Canard."

He had to laugh at the goalie, "This girl sure got you hooked. I am jealous."