CHAPTER THREE

"Girls, meet your soon-to-be stepfather!" My mom cried out once she got home. I frown looking up. Summer and I had walked home because my mom insisted we needed the exercise. She never lets anyone in her precious car. She had bought with the money I had saved up for college.

She didn't know what that money was, but at the same time, when does she know anything about what's happening to her own children. The day she blew through all the money, I had never seen her so happy. Her cheeks were red from the summer heat and her painted red lips were stretched into the biggest smile I'd ever seen. It was pathetic what I would do to see my bitch of a mother happy.

That was why I hadn't said anything. I convinced myself that if I kept my mouth shut and my tears hidden, she would be always this happy. I was wrong. The very next day she left for a trip in that car and didn't return home for two months, leaving me to take care of Summer. I didn't mind, I just didn't realize how hard it was to take care of a nine year old with a paycheck given by a gas station who hired emplyees illegally. And when she came back, it was like she had gotten even more upset. 

My stomach lurched into my throat as I met the same eyes of the disgusting man I had met earlier. God, I actually needed to empty my stomach.

My heartbeat pounded behind my ear as my blood crawled all over me, making me want to crumble below the ground and die. The feeling if uneasiness spread through my body as I looked up at the man. He looked like he was ready to devour me. When his eyes moved down to my sister, it was my last straw. I grabbed her hand tightly, pushing her behind me. The man snapped his eyes back to me, a mean glare to them.

I bite back my tears, "Nice to meet you, we'll be in our rooms," my voice was the opposite of how I wanted to sound. I sounded weak, small, unimportant. Just how I felt on a day to day basis. I didn't wait for a response as I dragged my sister up the stairs. 

Anger burned through me. I knew that my mother had her ways of coping, but why the hell was she trying to replace my father. Not like that creep could fill those shoes. 

"June? Is mom actually going to get married to him?" Summer's small voice breaks me out of my murderous throughts. I let out a small breath, calming my buzzing blood down and turning towards my sister. Her wides eyes stared at me, her crooked teeth playing with her lip as she fiddled with her finger. I shake my head, pulling her towards me, hugging her close to me. 

"I think so, but don't worry, unnie's going to protect you from everything," I promise her, laying her down on the ratty mattress we call our bed. She giggles, "You always say that," I could hear the sleepiness in her voice. I sigh, kissing her hair. 

"How was church?" I ask but when I get no answer, I smile. I was glad that Summer wasn't scared of the nightmares lurking behind your eyelids, waiting to pounce on you once you close them. I turn off the lamp after seeing the content look on her face and settle back myself, wrapping the thin blanket around her body. 

I wasn't cold. I knew it was because of what had happened in the church. I knew it was being of a certain someone's touch. I could still feel his touch on my skin, his lips on mine. 

Nikolas. 

I wanted him like Eve wanted the fruit. He seemed so sinful, so forbidden, I couldn't help but feel so attracted to him. His cruel smirk and his cold eyes, he was all I could see. But I wouldn't be stupid like her. I knew that he would only make me want to sin further. He was my forbidden fruit and I needed to keep myself from devouring him. More like get devoured by him. 

...

It was hard seeing your mother walk down the aisle for a man who wasn't your father. Especially when your mother seemed so much happier with this man than how she looked with the last few months of your father's life.