CHAPTER NINE

"Please, unnie, please," Summer pleaded with her big eyes, "I won't do anything stupid and I'll call you goodnight and I'll be nice to their mom, I promise! I'll be good, so please let me go," she's on the ground, her hands clasped together as she begs me. 

I sigh, "But what'll I do without you, for the night?" I already made up my mind. I was going to let her go, she needed to have fun with her friends. I wasn't going to stop her. This was after she showed me a picture of the girl and she was also Asian. Not that I was being prejudice to other races, I was just more comfortable with my own, since I knew Summer was a picky eater, refusing to eat anything without rice, and hated wearing shoes inside the house. 

I still packed her lunch, even though she went to a school that I knew had their own chef. I made sure to bring wet wipes everywhere to wipe her feet after walking barefoot in a house where everyone wore shoes. I was with her everywhere, making sure she was always comfortable, but she was about to go to a random girls house to spend the night. Obviously I'd let her go, but I still needed her to be safe. 

"I'll call you, Jonas bought us new phones, so I can call you anywhere!" She holds up my contact for me to see. She had already created social media accounts on every app imaginable and was starting to fit in at school. It made me happy to see her so happy. She was meant for this comfortable life. I just needed to sheild her from the monsters that lurked behind the closed doors that came with this life. 

"Okay, only if you tell me you love me, I'll let you go," I cross my arms, stifling a smile at her excitement. She squeals throwing her arms around my neck. 

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I love you, unnie!" She kisses my cheeks before bouncing to her room, already ringing her friend. I sigh, she was growing up so fast. 

I knew my mother already said yes, so I was extra happy when Summer felt the need to ask me as well. It made me happy that she valued my opinion. Once Summer's friend's driver came to pick her up, I waved goodbye to her and let her go. The second she left the house, it was so silent, I realized how much life she brought everywhere she went. 

I sigh, pulling out my phone. 

Debating if this was a stupid decision or not, I open the groupchat with all four girls and typing out a message. This was definetly a stupid decision, that I'll probably regret. 

June: Plans got cancelled. Where's the party?

Olivia: party starts at 9 come over and we can get ready together

Vivianne sends me her address, saying that they were already together and tells me to bring nothing but my 'pretty Korean ass'. I run my hands through my hair and sigh before grabbing a few snacks from the kitchen and looking up her address on Google Maps. 

Damnit, a thirty minute walk, but a five minute car ride. What kind of bullshit was that? 

Apparently Vivianne lived at home, not liking how small and stuffy the dorms were. She liked her own space and her own cook. She had specific meal plans that the school's cafeteria could not provide. Something about a clean diet. 

Olivia, Elodie and Lola lived in the dorms, their homes more than a two hour ride from the school. But they spent most of their time at Vivianne's house. From what I've been told, Vivianne's parents are hardly ever there, giving them the house to themselves. 

I was invited a few times after school, but I couldn't let Summer come home to an empty house. 

I look around before seeing the driver who drove me on the first day. 

"Um, excuse me? I'm so sorry but could you drive me somewhere, really quickly?" I grip the snacks tighter in my hands, my head hung with shame. The words were bitter coming out of my tongue.