CHAPTER SIX

The school looked so clean. 

Everything opposite of how I felt. 

My throat still burned from vomitting all my breakfast and all the semen that morning. My scalp still stung from the tight grip he had on my hair, making it impossible for me to take a breath as he held me down on his fat cock. I wanted to scrub every little touch he gave me off my body, every little word he whispered that morning that only reminded me how dirty I was. 

I bit my lip hard enough to draw blood as my mother's nails bug into my skin as she pulled me along. Pastor Cairo was kind and warm, the opposite of what I'd thought he'd be when Jonas said they were good friends. I'd expected another predator, another monster in the world getting ready to devour innocent creatures. 

Though I was still on my toes, getting ready to bolt and settle for a public school, it was hard to deny that Pastor Cairo had an aura around him. An aura that I found refuge in. His smile was still strong after the whole tour of the school, and even when Jonas spent the whole time making sure he was uncomfortable with his dark presense, Pastor Cairo still had that bright energy around him. 

"Here," he handed me a yellow slip of paper. It said something about excusing my tardiness, but I didn't pay it any mind as I stared deeply into Cairo's soul, trying to figure out how such a person could be connected to Jonas. But judging by the way Jonas had such a nice front at church on Sunday, it was obvious that Jonas was good at hiding his monstrosity by acting like a good, Catholic man by going church every Sunday and donating a pretty sum to the church. 

It made me sick to think of how many people he'd decieved. How many actual good people who feel for his act. How many innocent girls he's violated like me. 

"Make sure to come to me if you have any problems, June, I know being new in Senior Year is intimidating, but I'll be praying that God will guide you through your hardships," I liked that he didn't sugarcoat anything. I knew that there'd be hardships trying to fit in and all that bullshit. Thank the fucking Lord I didn't have any interest in trying to make new friends. I just needed a clear exit ticket for both me and Summer. 

"Thank you, Pastor Cairo," I don't say goodbye to my mother or Jonas before I take off into the first class of my day, World Literature. I let out a breath before opening the door. 

The room is silent as I walk in, making my skin crawl. When is this ever not uncomfortable? 

"Ms. Kim, I'm presuming?" I look up at the teacher and nod. She looks to be in her mid-thirties but it was weird seeing someone at that age so happy. She looked to be enjoying life as she gestured for me to come closer so she could take the yellow slip from my hand. 

"I'm Sister Sarah," she smiles before pointing to the empty seat in the corner of the room, "You could take a seat back there, we were just getting ready to introduce the first book we'd be reading this year." 

Why the fuck was everyone here so nice? 

I nodded, not saying anything and walked to the back of the classroom, ignoring all the stares I was getting at the back of my head. The class went on as normal after I'd sat down, but there were still eyes I felt on me. I straightened out the ugly ass uniform I was forced to wear and tried my best to focus on whatever Mrs. Sunshine was saying about the book we had to read for homework. 

Fahrenheit 451. 

I saw Summer reading it a few nights ago. I'd snuck it from her bag and read it myself. What I'd do to burn Jonas and that stupid mansion he was living in. Either way I'd thought Montag was a fucking pathetic loser, curiosity always killed all the fun. All the oblivion I'd beg to get back.