ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ɴɪɴᴇ - ᴄᴀʟᴜᴍ - ʜɪᴅɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʟᴏꜱᴇᴛ

songs of the chapter: White – palaye royale, Sweater weather – the neighbourhood

29 | Calum | hiding in the closet

Saturday

Calum was on his way to Maureen's house. It was a weird feeling. He had troubles walking in a straight line, even though he hadn't been drinking. He was feeling nauseous, even though he hadn't eaten anything bad.

Going over to a girl, in a casual way but still somehow dating was something new, something out of his comfort zone and Calum only realized what he was doing when he was on his way to her house.

At Mason's Party him and Maureen had had a long talk. They had talked about their feelings and they both had admitted for the first time, that they somewhat liked each other.

But Calum wasn't ready to date. Calum still wasn't ready for commitment. His whole life he had never had to commit to anyone, he didn't know how that worked and on top of all, he was still confused.

Although his heart beat didn't increase anymore every time he saw Luke, he was still thinking a lot about what it meant and then suddenly throughout the day other things popped up in his head.

Mason popped up a lot. He remembered their trip to the hill, how they screamed and how good it felt and then in the next second he had the image in front of his eyes in which Mason was standing down in the crowd the day before with a big smile on his lips and watery eyes.

But the thing is, what startled Calum the most was that exactly this was how everything had started with Luke.

And Calum now knew why he had gotten so nervous when Luke was around, although he had troubled admitting it to himself.

But he was really doing it, he was about to give someone a chance. And he was pretty sure that the someone wasn't Maureen but him.

It was odd, yes but this decision also made Calum happy. He really liked Maureen and to know that she liked him too, at least to a certain degree was exciting.

He was standing in front of her house, as he rang the doorbell, inspecting the building. Calum had never been there before, but he liked the house. It wasn't super big, but it looked cosy and lovely.

The colour of the façade was a pastel blue and the flowers that were placed on the ledges were violet. The combination looked harmonic, just like everything else about the house.

Maureen opened the door and led Calum up to her room. They quickly decided on watching a movie together, so she left Calum alone for some minutes to go get her charger for her laptop because its battery was low.

In the meantime Calum inspected her room. It matched her aesthetic. Everything was pastel coloured, from the walls to the chair, to her bedsheets. The only exception were the pictures she had hung up on her wall.

Most of them had been taken during night time and showed her together with Jade or Mason. Therefore they were really dark and contrasted the lightness of the room.

Calum quickly noticed that she didn't really have pictures with her parents in her room. There was a picture with a big guy who looked like her father on her nightstand, but it had to be taken a long time ago because Maureen was really young in it.

There was no picture with her mother, or at least Calum didn't see any. He wondered if Maureen's Mum was white. The guy in the picture was black but Maureen's skin wasn't as dark as his so it could be that she was mixed.