As a Mouse

As a Mouse

Somehow, that question took you off guard. You didn't know how to answer or exactly how to respond and what to say. So you watched Andreas pour you the drink and continued to keep your mouth shut. But how long could you do that for? You politely took your drink and a whiff of Andreas' very expensive perfume which smelt incredible. The base note was oud, the heart note was rose and the head note was bergamot. You could imagine the bottle itself looked unlike anything you'd ever seen before.

"Maybe." You neither confirmed nor denied the statement.

"I didn't mean to upset, I was just wondering cause it wasn't that's all." Andreas nervously explained as he didn't want to cause any arguments.

You looked at Andreas as he was now sat in front of you. "I do not think it's professional to date your employer."

He laughed, very loudly and jovially. He found your point humorous for some reason. "I can understand exactly what you mean. It's difficult."

"It's not difficult. It's not professional." You repeated.

"I see. I understand. It really isn't."

"I'm glad we agree."

"So, have ya dated anyone who isn't Japanese?" Andreas curiously peaked.

"No. Have you dated someone who isn't Spanish?"

"I have. I've dated many people. But I ain't stayed with them long."

"And why is that?"

"Because." Andreas simply shrugged his silk linen shoulders.

"I see."

The door then opened and you saw Majima stood there with Diego by his side. Both of them looking around the room to see you and Andreas together, sharing a drink.

"Here they are." Diego pointed out.

Majima looked at you and wanted to say something but stopped himself. Sucking his words back in and standing up straight. "I just came to see where ya were. I'm goin' now."

You gathered your belongings. "I'll join you."

"Are ya sure?"

You nodded.

The drive to the hotel was so awkward because it was completely silent. Majima wasn't in a good mood and the entire world knew when he was in a bad mood. It was 1:00am in Barcelona now which meant 9:00am in Tokyo. Majima's phone rang in his pocket and he answered it with his eye closed as his one hand hung out of the window to allow the air to push through his fingers.

"Hello?"

Majima waited a few seconds before opening his eye and sitting forward, paying more attention to the call.

"What? When?"

You looked at Majima to try and understand his reactions, his voice, his tone and his urgency. Was there anything to talk about once you both got back to the hotel? Thankfully you both didn't need to share a room...

Majima led the way, walking through the hotel and letting you get into the elevator first. Still on the phone. Enjoying m his conversation about business back in his native tongue.

"Thankfully we don't need to share a room.." you mumbled to yourself without taking a breath in your voice so it wasn't audible.

But you were wrong. You did need to share a room. And you did need to share a bed. Before this, it wasn't an issue. Majima didn't find himself sleeping so he often sat on the balcony, shirtless due to how warm it was.

Would he say something to you for wandering off with Andreas alone? No. You were your own person and now it was time for you to do your own thing. And would he try and speak to you? Probably not unless it was strictly work related. This time around, you need to make the move.

So you did. You changed your clothes and joined him out on the balcony as he smoked. Both of you looking down at the warm night. You thought he'd talk first. He didn't. So you didn't.

"It's warm here."

Majima continued to smoke. He hated small talk. "Is there something' yer tryin' to tell me? Spit it out." He couldn't initiate or engage in small talk. It was so difficult to ask the usual meagre shit.

You were taken aback by that. And when you opened your mouth, the phone rang. A phone. His phone? The hotel phone? A phone. You could hear it from deep within the hotel room.

Majima didn't move. He was fixed on you. He wasn't going to move and he'd shout if you did. He was going to let it ring. Ring ring ring. Till the person on the other end gave up and shut the fuck up.

"Huh?" He repeated.

Mesmerised. You were mesmerised by his face and how angry it could look within seconds. You wondered what he looked like when he was your age.

"So ya don't wanna talk now?"

"W-w-why are you s-s-so angry?" You raised an eyebrow.

"Ya don't work for me anymore." He threw his cigarette over the balcony and blew the smoke out between his words. "Remember?"

You stared at his mouth while he began monologging about the argument you both had. He found it intense, crazy, incredibly annoying. That you, YOU, could privately frolic with the right hand man of Majima's opposition, was incredibly disrespectful and difficult to comprehend. Because it wasn't supposed to happen. This was supposed to be a harmonious parting with respect and calm. Not like this.

On the other hand you were besotted by the fact that he could monologue for a while. You couldn't take it anymore. If you admitted that you liked him, would that make things better? Would he be as annoyed? Would he be even more annoyed? Would he loose his cool? Would he give a shit? Or would you get kicked to the curb like other people? People shouldn't date their boss. It's not normal. It's odd.

"I-I-I l-l-l-like you."

He stopped monologging.

His eye looked into yours.

"What?" He questioned in irritation. He felt like you were trying to jump off the topic.

"I like you."

"Like me? What? As yer friend?"

"No! I want to b-b-be w-w-w-with you."

"Be with me? Why? Whaddya think I am?"

"I-I k-k-know what you are." You squeaked like a mouse stood in front of a human.

______

Sorry for such a long wait. It was my birthday, my husbands birthday, we've been so busy with work. But I'm back in a better rhythm!