Teased

The Lady, Krone, was a lady with exquisite tastes and a keen set of golden eyes. Her long, white hair had been pinned to the back of her head in a neat bun, few strands fell in front of her pale, soft face as the sunlight beamed through the tall, glass pane, stroking the left side of her face. The King's wife dressed in a deep red, the thick, velvet skirts swept the shining floor, her dark corset had been pulled tight, enhancing her bust and black lace outlined the square neckline. The Lady, Krone, was - in fact - an exquisite Queen.

She had no power; that much was true, Giesbach never included her or even noticed her most days. Krone liked it that way. She had exquisite tastes, after all, and Giesbach was not one of them. The first-blood allowed her mind to wander, her thoughts trailed back to Elberth: her true love, her only love. Her weak heart fluttered, making the woman grimace. She'd been restricted from blood and any natural food - Giesbach had forbidden it. And so, now, the seemingly young lady was fading. Her eyebrow furrowed, something like this had happened before... but she couldn't remember how.

Krone felt herself coughing, the pain was sharp as she tried to breath. Was she choking? She grasped the arch of the window, pressing her hand to her mouth in horror. Crimson stained her fingertips, a weak droplet raced down her finger, climbing into the cracks of her skin. Her eyes fluttered around the corridor hastily - had anyone seen? She prayed not. Endzeit was a common illness in their race - a highly contagious one at that, too. Her long nails dug into the cobblestone as she attempted to redeem her composure. The Lady would be alright - she needed to reach the owlery, to send that letter: a warning.

"Oh please be quiet," Athena Tsukinami begged as she rocked the screaming baby side-to-side, "I know, I know you miss your parents." She was wrapped in silk, the skirt of her robe trailed to her ankles, the rope was loosely tied as she'd scrambled to tie it. The baby - Casper - slept in the same room as her and the Sakamaki... and he was screaming at 2 o'clock in the morning. Her wavy hair was a poofy mess, her eyes stung as she patted the baby's back, holding him to her shoulder, her tiredness embracing her. Reiji hadn't awoken. He was still laying in the bed, eyes closed softly and lips parted as he slumbered. She didn't want to wake him.

"Casper, please," she whispered, "you're going to wake up the sleeping monster - you don't want that, do you?" She bounced softly on the balls of her feet, shushing the baby as she did so. If Reiji woke up then... how hadn't he woken up, actually? Hastily, she turned to look back at her husband, only to find him sitting up, eyes open and an annoyed expression on his face. Athena's heart dropped, the sound made Reiji lift his eyes to hers.

"You are useless," he snapped, "give me the baby." With a huff, Athena handed Casper to the cold man, her mouth falling agape as the baby soon fell asleep.

"What? I was with him for... an entire hour!" Athena said, crossing her arms over her chest as she stared at the handsome man and the baby in his arms. She wiped her eyes as she sat herself upon the sinking mattress, feeling entirely deflated.

"Get some rest," was all Reiji said. He didn't offer her a glance as he stared at the sleeping baby's face.

Scoffing, the auburn haired lady climbed beneath the duvet and allowed her head to sink into the plush pillows. Moments passed and the lady couldn't fall back into her slumber. Agitated, she turned to face Reiji.

"Why was a replica of Laito's letter on the table?" Her tone was demanding as she stared up at the pale man. Now, his eyes caught hers.

"Perhaps you aren't as futile as I was made to believe," he commented before letting out a sigh, "still, you were a fool to believe that letter was about you."

"It was."

"No, it was a warning." Reiji wrapped the blanket around Casper ever so gently, "Believe me, if Laito were to send you a lascivious letter, it would have been much more graphic. My brother may be erotic but he is not foolish."

"Are you close with your brothers?"

"Not at all. Yes, I babysat them when we were younger. I'd provide and cook for them but I don't have any 'bonds' with my brothers."

"Is that why you're so good with children?"

"Quite possibly."

"Why did you mention children the other day?"

"Go to sleep, Athena."

"No, I want to know." She sat herself up, facing him with her jaw set tight, stormy eyes piercing his.

Reiji let out a chuckle, rolling his eyes as Athena gripped the silk of her night gown.

"I will tell you," he said, "if you answer my questions truthfully."

"Alright then."

Reiji's free hand caressed her rosy cheek, his thumb traced her upper lip as he leaned closer towards her. Her breath was hot on his lips as they parted, a small smirk spread across his face as his eyes dropped to her soft, pink mouth. "Does this make you nervous?" He whispered, glancing up to her eyes once more. Athena Tsukinami was a bright red, her heart hammered dangerously against her chest.

"No," she lied, eyebrow twitching as his hand travelled to her soft hair.

"Do you want me to kiss you?"

"A-Absolutely not." She avoided his gaze, her heartbeat betrayed her as she gulped anxiously. One wrong movement...

"Do I scare you?"

Athena was quiet for a long time before she uttered a small, "Yes."

"I make you nervous," he concluded, "you want me to kiss you, I scare you." He pulled away, noting her small frown as he heard her heart sink. "Get some sleep, Athena." She was silent the rest of the night.

"The blood on the knife," Dr Ban said, "is neither Malory's or Carlos'." He was standing before the corpse of Malory Jacobson, talking to the round detective, "I believe there was a third party."

"Mrs Sakamaki?" Li said gently, aiming the suggestion at Jeffory Hanks.

"The shoe print suggests so - and that cut on her cheek." The bunny-like man replied with a nod, "I doubt that shelf broke on its own accord."

"I think the Sakamaki's are innocent," Nox returned bashfully - he was new to the scene, "from what you told me, they seem entirely innocent."

"Seems that way," Hanks returned, "unfortunately, perfectionist murderers are the hardest to catch out."

"Do you really think they're perfectionists?"

"The husband is, for sure."

"Why would they kill the Jacobsons?"

"For one, the Jacobsons were spying on the Sakamakis - I believe they were plotting to kill them. We found letters addressed to a 'Touga' which suggested as such."

"So this is, in a way, a self defense?"

"No. This was done with malicious intent."

"But the wife's cheek was slashed - was the husband defending her?"

"Possibly."

"Goodmorning Dear," Reiji greeted as his half-dressed wife stumbled into the room, "breakfast will be ready in just a moment."

"What are you making?" She murmured, yawning loudly, earning a glare.

"Scrambled egg and bacon - would you like a kiss with that, too?" The pureblood smirked as his wife's red face sneered at him.

"Where's Casper?" She changed the topic easily, not wishing to be teased.

"Authorities took him away," Reiji replied, "Detective Hanks showed up quite early in the morning, stated that we can't keep the boy since we are the number one suspects."

"We are?"

"I am - you not so much."

"A life sentence will pass in no time," Athena smiled warmly, "I'll still be here for you."

"Not when you aren't absorbing your needed nutrients." Before the bride had walked down the stairs, Reiji had sliced his hand and allowed the blood to be soaked up by the sizzling bacon. He'd restore her power - he longed to see what she could do.

He'd do anything to find out.