Home

"Father," Reiji said, fuschia eyes clashing with his father's sharp, golden pair, "we gain nothing from a war. We should at least negotiate first."

"You know nothing of this world, Reiji."

"Then give me the chance to, she is my wife, let me lead this one - an assessment before I take the throne, perhaps?" Karlheinz eyed his son, looking him up and down for a long, tense minute before shrugging.

"Alright then, keep me updated." And with that, the slender man vanished into thin air, leaving Reiji to slump against the wall with a defeated sigh.

And that was how he'd ended up in a rocky carriage on his way to the Tsukinami castle. He'd been alone the entire journey, attempting to read his books in peace before giving up and staring aimlessly out the window. He'd bathed before he'd left and he'd washed his hair before dressing presentable. He wore the clothes he once wore before moving to the human realm, a buttoned white shirt with flowing sleeves, a waistcoat that hugged him perfectly, a long coat the same shade of black and a pair of trousers which were long and straight. He felt his body stiffen as the carriage came to a halt and the door was opened with a wail. He adjusted his glasses and climbed out, making his way to the ominous castle doors.

Athena's eyes fluttered open as soon as the knocks sounded. Red sunlight pooled through the opened windows, temporarily staining her bedsheets. She glimpsed around, captivated by the familiar sense of home as her body gained consciousness. After a long while, she managed to push herself up, her head span as she did so, nausea bubbling in the pit of her stomach as she leaned her back against the wooden backrest, panting slightly.

"You're awake!" A maid who'd scurried in gasped, eyes looking the lady up and down, "Oh my- How are you feeling?" She hurried over, footsteps silent as the back of her cold hand pressed against Athena's forehead. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," Athena's voice was hoarse, her lips parched as she gulped, "where are my brothers?"

"I'll go and get Master Shin now, Mistress." The maid patted Athena's duvet gently before disappearing into the dimly lit hallway.

Reiji stood stiffly in the entrance hall as he awaited his host's greeting. Carla showed as soon as the clock chimed, floating down the stairs as he glared at the lowly vampire before him.

"Prince," Carla greeted with a curt nod.

"Your Highness," Reiji returned.

"Please, follow me." Carla led Reiji through the narrow cobblestone corridors and into an exquisite room meant for visitors. "Shin was supposed to show you here, I do apologise."

"There was no problem," Reiji said, sitting opposite the first-blood upon the soft, cream sofa.

"I understand that you are here in place of Karlheinz?" Carla began, ignoring the servants that scurried around preparing tea for them

"Yes," Reiji answered politely, "we had a report from a familiar that Athena was seen around here."

"When did you last see Athena?"

"Last month," he said, "she disappeared the night before the blood moon."

"Do you know where she was?" Carla folded one leg over the over, adjusting his scarf.

"I do not."

"You have a suspicion."

"I do."

"What makes you think that you deserve my sister back? You lost her already and the state she was in when Shin found her was simply unforgivable."

"State? What happened to her?"

"You have no right to know."

"I'm her husband."