Good Soup

"Where are we?" asked the unaware widow who'd been silent the entire car journey once they'd entered the human realm. Ruki had been driving the car, his eyes focussed on the road ahead as they travelled to their new home.

"Japan," he informed, "we'll be living in the city where we first met, I've bought an apartment for us both. I called that art school you went to and apparently you'd already been enrolled - that'll be starting next week.

It was the 8th of August when she'd received the news of her husband's death. Kou had sent Ruki a letter detailing the events of what had happened and letting him know when the coronation would be. It was today.

Athena had grown up as an aristocrat, receiving all sorts of luxurious gifts for her birthday over the years… but news of her husband had been the worst. She'd locked herself in the bathroom when Ruki had left the house to shop for groceries. He'd invited her but she'd feigned a sickness, leaving her alone in their small apartment.

Her wails were loud as she caressed Teddy tightly in her arms, hiccuping and gasping for breath every time she'd slowly calm down. Teddy had been newly sewed, neatly this time, and his smile never wavered… but something was different with him. Something she'd never expected.

"Athena?" said Teddy, causing the woman to jump back in shock. She stared at the plush in horror, squinting into his recently replaced eye. Was that… a camera? "It's me," the voice cleared, "Kanato."

"Kanato?" She whispered, "Y-You can see me?"

"Yes," he replied, "I… know the time isn't right… I'm sure you've heard by now."

"Yes…" she sniffled, caressing Teddy's cheeks with her hands.

"Saying 'happy' birthday seems wrong," he said, "but I'm working on something."

"What're you working on?"

"Before you were returned to us, Reiji entrusted his past journals to me. From his notes, I've concluded that the documents stolen to revive my Father were corrupt and the results will not last long. The potion will take months, maybe even a year to perfect… and it might not even work considering my lack of knowledge in this area." Kanato said, "I would show you but you cannot see me."

"That's…" a hopeful smile spread across her lips.

"Don't get your hopes up," Kanato said, "Reiji ordered this very strangely - probably a code that only he knew to prevent what happened with Father to happen again. I am not as smart as he was. I will keep you updated. I must leave for it is Shu's coronation. Try to cheer up, Athena, it is what Reiji would wish for."

"Thank you Kanato," she whispered.

The blinking light in Teddy's eye died down, leaving Athena's reflection in the bear's new eye.

-_-_-_-

"Still no sign of Teddy?" Laito asked with a frown as his triplet stood himself beside the well-dressed man.

"No," scowled Kanato as he adjusted his frilly cuffs, looking out at the solemn citizens who flooded the corination hall, "when'll this be over?"

"Who knows," shrugged Laito, "I mean Reiji's was quite short but he was in a rush."

"It's meant to be a short ordeal," Ayato said from the other side of Laito, "but with Shu, it's bound to be prolonged."

"I don't know," said Laito, "he really wants that crown."

"Has Yui stayed home?" Asked Kanato.

"Sayori's fallen sick," sighed Ayato, "I'm planning to leave after this."