Chapter 21

Angie sat in the back of the prison transport van with the three boys as Braeden drove. She'd been the one to cuff Liam down as Derek presented him with the Triskelion, still proclaiming that it was an ancient supernatural talisman that could help Liam learn control. And she had to try so hard not to laugh at the look he gave Stiles to go along with the story.

They stopped all of once to use the bathroom and get gas before continuing their drive, night falling and the moon rising in the dark sky.

Derek at least must've found some relief in not having to worry about control anymore.

Angie was a master at control on a full moon, she'd had to be when she was with Ennis and Deucalion. And even though the alphas took her memories, they didn't take everything, they couldn't take the echoes. The things that were ingrained in her brain so deep that not even a demon wolf could take them away.

In her case, it had been three words. Three words that she'd said over and over again like a mantra that became her anchor.

Mischief. Noel. Clouds.

Her brother, father and mother. The way she and Stiles used to say their names when they were little and couldn't quite get the pronunciation right.

They didn't have that kind of time to find Liam an anchor though as he finally bucked in his chains, his claws out as he squeezed the Triskelion and his eyes glowed yellow.

"Whatever you were going to teach me," he huffed. "I think you better start."

"Liam, you with me?" Derek asked, the young beta covered in sweat as he tried to fight off his transformation. "We have a mantra that we use. You repeat it, you focus on the words. It's like meditating. You say the words until you feel control coming back to you."

"Ok! Ok! Ok! What are the words?!" he groaned, seeming to be in pain as he doubled over.

"Ok, look at the Triskelion. See the symbol. I have a tattoo on my back, it's the same thing. Each spiral means something," Derek continued.

"Alpha, beta, omega," Stiles supplied.

"It represents the idea that we can always rise to one and fall back to another. Beta can become alphas," Derek explained.

"Alpha's can become betas," Stiles added.

"Can alphas become omegas?" Liam asked and Derek nodded.

"All you have to do is say the three words. And with each one, you tell yourself you're getting calmer, more in control. Go ahead."

"Alpha, beta-"

"Slower," Derek corrected.

"Alpha... beta... omega. Alpha....beta...omega."

"Good. Say it again. Remember, every time you say the words you're getting calmer," Derek reminded him and Angie had a lot of respect for her friend who taught control to numerous people and in nicer ways than she was ever taught.

Liam said it again, but with each word, his voice became more demonic as his body threatened to transform.

"Derek, I don't think the powerful talisman of self-control is working," Stiles said nervously as he curled into the corner of the van.

"Liam, say it again!" Derek shouted as the boy roared and he broke one of his hands free of his cuffs.

"Derek?" Braeden called as the van began to swerve.

"I think we're gonna need to go a little faster!" Stiles yelled as Angie lunged forward, holding Liam by his neck as she pinned his hand to the wall.

At least until his other hand broke free and swung at her. Angie ducked but still coped a claw to her cheek, the wound healing quickly as she settled for holding his arms while fending off his fangs with her knee as she used her shin to pin his neck to the wall as he snapped at her.