Chapter 93

Angie had used her father's phone, sending Peter, Chris and Melissa after Scott and Allison before she began texting, her brows furrowed in concentration as she worked, and it meant that she was probably planning something, or she was angry at someone, or potentially both.

Eli's knee didn't stop bouncing as they went until Chloe took his hand, shocking him as she squeezed it gently, trying to calm him down. He hadn't been expecting that and the surprise he got from her actions was enough to distract him from worrying about his father despite Angie's assurances that he was ok.

"Dad? Dad?!" Eli called as they burst through the back door of his house.

"Eli? Eli!" Derek called in relief as the two Hale men embraced, glad the other was ok. "You're safe, Eli. You're safe," Derek said for both him and his son. He pulled away as he held Eli's face and looked to where Angie was standing with her hands on her daughter's shoulders. "Thank you! Thank you, Angie, really," he said, and she smiled as she shrugged like it was no big deal when it was a very big deal.

"You'd do the same for me."

"Dad, Scott's in trouble," Eli said.

"That Allison woman is after him, Uncle Derek," Chloe added.

"We've got a problem," Noah confirmed and Deaton, who a few of them had hardly realised was in the room, turned to the front door.

"Three of them," the doctor said, and three armed Oni were coming straight for them.

"Get down!" Angie urged as she and Derek pushed their kids down behind the island and Noah already started shooting at them as Deaton was pushed back over the couch.

"Stay down and cover your heads," Derek ordered as Angie roared and jumped up onto the island before tackling an Oni to the floor.

"Dad!" Eli called as he tried to get up but one of Noah's bullets ricocheted and it nearly hit him and he fell back down next to Chloe, covering her head. He wasn't going to let anything hurt her. 

Derek dodged a few swiped before picking up a frying pan as he used it to block the Oni's sword. Noah had fallen back onto the couch as he continued to fire his gun, Deaton getting up off the floor as he brought out his electric baton and advanced on the creature that Noah was shooting at. Angie was back on her feet again, the Oni's sword knocked from its hand as she punched it in the face, but it wasn't making much of an impact on it as it was on her, her knuckles bloodied and bruised.

"Daddy!" Angie called as she heard her father scream and she turned to watch the Oni stab a sword through her father's back as he vanished in a cloud of black mist.

"Watch out!" Deaton warned as he yanked Angie out of the way and brought up his baton to meet the Oni's sword. But it didn't take long for him to be dispelled either.

Derek had thrown the Oni he was fighting out of a window, everything seeming ok for a second.

"Dad," Eli said in relief as he and Chloe began to get up from the floor, but then that second ended.

It ended when Angie tried to save her best friend, but he pushed her out of the way as a sword impaled his chest.

"Take care of him," he panted, and Angie nodded her head frantically, her mouth agape and tears in her eyes, as he started to turn into black smoke and he faced his son. "Remember who you are."

And Derek was gone.

And the two other Oni advanced.

Angie roared something fierce as her hands burned with fire that she shot at the Oni in short bursts like lasers. "Get up! Get to the basement!" she ordered, the teens a little too scared to move as Malia came bounding down the hall and grabbed them, pushing them both down the stairs before she tumbled in herself, Angie following after them as she closed the door and locked it but it wouldn't buy them much time. "Window, window, window! We gotta go!" Angie urged as the three of them dizzily got to their feet and headed for the far wall of the basement where there was a covered window.

But then the Oni chittered as they appeared behind them.

Malia and Angie stood in front of the kids as they shifted, growling.

"We have to do something," Chloe said as she turned to Eli and she was surprised to see him shift as he pulled Angie and Malia back, the former getting off a small shot of fire that didn't seem to do much against the dark creatures.

"I can do this," Eli said, his fangs bared.

"Oh shit," Malia exclaimed but Angie's reaction was very different.

"Absolutely not. Derek asked me to take care of you and letting you run at the Oni is not doing that," she explained as she sent out another burst of fire, knocking the Oni back but not by much.

"All due respect, Aunt Angie, but I wasn't asking permission."

And Eli charged.

"No! NO!" Angie cried as not only Eli charged but Chloe pushed past her mother as she went with him. She wasn't letting him fight alone.

But it just seemed like Angie blinked. One second, they were both there and the next...they were both gone.

"NO!" she roared as she charged at them, not caring what became of her but Malia did. Rather than charge with her, Malia ripped the coverings off the windows and sunlight streamed through them. By the time Angie swiped at the Oni, she was swiping at black smoke as they disappeared. "No! NO! they took my daughter. They took my daughter," Angie panicked as she shifted back. "Derek. Eli. Dad. They took my daughter. They took my daughter."

"Angie? Angie," Malia called.

"They took my daughter!" she screamed, tears running down her face. Gods, it had been such a long time since she had a panic attack.

"Ok, we're going to get you to Parrish," Malia said, not knowing at all what to do as she grabbed Angie's arm which was kinda burning hot under her palm and began to lead her upstairs and outside.