Chapter 28

A chimera. Scott, his friends and Deaton had discovered that Tracy and the creature with talons that attacked Scott and Jordan were actually chimeras. They weren't just part human and part supernatural, rather they were a mix of three parts like the Greek chimera they were named after. The talon creature was part harpy eagle and part wolf, and Tracy was part wolf and part kanima. Not to mention that they'd discovered another chimera that was part scorpion from a Sumerian legend. But he'd been killed by the men in masked, proving what Angie and Malia had said. But that wasn't at all what Angie was concerned about.

She hadn't stayed at Jordan's house for the last two nights because she'd been worried. She'd just had this bad feeling about her brother, and she knew she was right when he came home late one night and she was woken by the overwhelming smell of anxiety and fear.

She was in a pair of Jordan's boxers and a tank top when she walked into his room after overhearing him on the phone with Scott who revealed that someone was taking the dead bodies of the chimeras. Tracy's body was gone from the animal clinic, the scorpion body was gone from the morgue and Stiles was the only one that knew Donovan's body was gone.

"Mischief," Angie said softly as she walked in, and he flinched. "Mischief, are you ok?" she asked as she saw the half-rubbed-out words on his crime board, the duster lying on the floor near his desk.

"I- I'm fine," he insisted as she walked in.

"Little brother, I know you. And I don't have to be a werewolf to know that you're not ok."

"I-I-I'm fine. Angel. You-You don't have to worry about me," he stuttered, and she walked into his room.

"Stiles. Stiles, you know you can talk to me, right? About anything? I am the last person who's going to judge you. I'm surprised you didn't judge me for everything I did," she half chuckled as she placed her hand on his shoulder and he winced as he recoiled. "Mischief, you're scaring me. What happened?"

His eyes were lined with tears as his hands trembled and he turned around as he pulled his shirt down to reveal the wound on the back of his shoulder. She didn't say anything. She didn't push for answers as she sat him down on his bed and went for the first aid box in the bathroom. But before she even began cleaning the wound, she placed her hand on the nape of his neck as she closed her eyes as her veins turned black and she took his pain.

It made an exponential difference as the tension in his body eased and his trembling seemed to lighten up. "Now, I know I'm not Melissa or dad, but, I do know a trick or two when it comes to patching up wounds. The alpha pack did not hold back when it came to training me," she revealed as she rubbed on it with an alcohol wipe, taking his pain as she did. It was silent between them as Angie worked, her fingers ridiculously gentle as she patched him up.

"It was Donovan," Stiles said at last, not able to look at her as she closed the first aid box. "I fell asleep in the library. He attacked me."

"Mischief, I just cleaned up a bite mark. Something bit a chunk out of your shoulder. Are you sure it was Donovan that attacked you?"

Stiles only nodded, still unable to face his sister. "He's a Chimera. A wendigo. He tried to eat me. He tried to kill me."

"Mischief," Angie said as she stood, moving to crouch in front of him. "I'm not going to let anyone hurt you. You can tell me."

The tears slid down his face as he reached for her hands, needing something to fidget with. "It was a pin. One tiny pin. I-I didn't mean to. I - it was an accident. I tried -"

"Stiles, breathe. Slowly. It's ok. I promise," she soothed as she knelt down.

"I climbed a scaffolding," he began as his shaking began to worsen. "Donovan was following me. I-I pulled...I pulled a pin. It was one little pin. The scaffolding fell. He - Donovan, he was impaled on a beam. I-I-"

"Shhh," Angie cooed as she cradled his head to her chest, and he sobbed into her skin. "Listen to me. Listen. That was not your fault. Not in the slightest. You are not a bad person and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. Shhh, Mischief. You're ok. I love you. You're ok."

She let him get all of it out of his system, sitting down on his bed as she rocked them back and forth and she unconsciously began humming their mother's song.

"I called 911," he whimpered as his sobs died down, but he was still clutching onto her for dear life. "But I hung up. And - And when I went back- I went back to-"

"Shhh. Slowly. Take your time."

She felt him inhale deeply as he shuddered and let it out. "He was gone. It- it was like nothing happened. D-Donovan was gone. Someone cleaned it up."

Angie pulled Stiles up so she could face him and wipe the tears from his face. "That is a problem for another day," she said simply, almost as if she was unfazed by everything he just told her but in actuality, her heart only broke for him. "Tonight, I want you to understand something," she said seriously as she looked him in the eyes and held his hands. "Donovan is not your fault. You defended yourself against a supernatural creature and it was an accident. His blood is not on your hands," she promised as his bottom lip trembled.

"But-"

"No buts, Stiles," she interrupted. "Say it. Say it's not your fault."

"It-It's not my fault."

"Good. Now say it like you mean it," she instructed with a small smile.

"It's not my fault," he said with a little more conviction, but he still didn't completely believe it. "You're- You're really not mad at me? You don't hate me?"

She scooted closer as she held his face and kissed his forehead. "Mischief, I love you. There is nothing you could do that could make me hate you. And I am most certainly not mad at you. I'm proud of you for telling me and I'm glad that you are ok. And I promise that your secret is safe with me. I won't tell anyone, not even dad or Jordan, until you're ready. Ok? All I care about is that you're ok."

Stiles nodded, his eyes still lined with tears that didn't fall.

"How about you get some rest, huh?" she suggested, and he just nodded again.

"Can you, uh, can you-"

But she was already making herself comfortable as Stiles pulled off his shoes and rested his head on her lap as he got under the covers. She could feel his body still shaking lightly as she began to run her fingers through his hair.

"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high. There's a land that I heard of, once, in a lullaby. Somewhere over the rainbow, Stiles is blue. But the dreams that he dares to dream, really do come true. Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me and my Angie. Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops. That's where you'll find me and my babies."

And as Angie kept singing, she heard Stiles' heart and his breathing slow as he drifted off to sleep in her arms. She rested her head against the wall as she hoped, and she prayed that he'd be alright. Her brother had already been through so much at his young age and this was one thing she hoped he'd never have to go through. She just hoped he'd be ok.

Little did she know that right now, her boyfriend was the one who wasn't ok as he carried Donovan's body to the Nemeton as he was covered in flames.