Chapter 14

Jordan was sitting on the couch, Angie on the other end as she hugged her knees, listening to the story Scott, Lydia and Derek told, first about Peter, then Jackson and then the alphas. And then Jennifer and the Nogitsune. They skimmed over her story with the alphas. It wasn't their story to tell anyways. If she wanted him to know, she'd tell him. She wasn't exactly here for most of it so she let them tell the story as Jordan listened, trying to soak in as much information as possible.

"Wait, what's a Kanima?" Jordan asked when they were finally up to date and she couldn't help the small smile on her lips. That was usually the question everyone asked first.

"We'll get back to that," Scott said as he moved to sit on the armrest of the couch, Lydia pacing while Derek leaned against a beam. "Just know that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability is on the dead pool."

"But I don't even know what I am," Jordan exclaimed.

"I'm pretty sure they don't care," Derek responded, rather bluntly.

"How many professional assassins are we talking about?" Jordan asked.

"We're starting to lose count," Lydia answered.

"But is it still just professionals?" Scott wondered aloud.

"Haigh was not smart or coordinated enough to be a professional assassin. I think he was taking a chance," Angie piped up, still staring off into space as she spoke.

"That means anyone with the dead pool can take a chance," Derek deduced.

"But if Haigh had it, then who else does? How easy is it to get this thing now?" Parrish inquired and that was an answer that they genuinely didn't know.

They changed topics after that, Lydia going on to explain how her grandmother knew Meredith and how her grandmother was the one that created the code for the dead pool. She was the one that created the original list of supernatural characters and she'd left another message for Lydia in the same code but she hadn't cracked that code yet. She felt guilty over Meredith though because her grandmother drove her insane and Lydia drove her to suicide. Scott walked Lydia out after that, the girl going to meet Stiles to try and crack the code her grandmother left her.

"Ange? You've barely said a word, are you ok?" Derek asked as he sat on the coffee table.

"I remembered the pain I felt from when the first flames hit me," she said, still unable to look at both Derek or Jordan. "And the entire time all I could think about was your family. I'm so sorry. No one deserved to die like that," she finished, a single tear trailing down her face.

"Hey, none of this is your fault. I'm just glad you're ok," he said as he sat on the edge of the couch and hugged her as she calmed down, listening to the sound of his heartbeat.

"This whole thing is so screwed up," she sighed as she sat up, her face dried on his shirt. "But at least you're getting laid."

Derek gave her a completely unamused look as she broke into a smile, Parrish biting his lips.

"Really?" he asked, voice full of disbelief.

"You put me on your bed and it reeked. And did you really think I wouldn't take the opportunity to rub it in my best friend's face?"

"It's times like this I wish I stayed in South America," he sighed as he stood and walked away.

"At least there you would've learned to change your sheets!" she called after him and Jordan turned to her.

"Are you sure you're ok?" he asked and she nodded.

"For now. I'll be a lot better when this is over," she answered before pushing herself to her feet. "Come on. Let's go get those burgers. I still have more to tell you," she said as she offered him her hand but he hesitated to take it almost as if he was scared he was going to hurt her. "Jordan," she said softly. "You're not a monster. I don't know what you are, not yet, but I know that you're not going to hurt me."