Chapter 68

Not only did Angie follow his heat trail, but Jordan began to sense him too, almost as if following a beacon or one of Argent's emitters. And it led them all the way to the high school. A big surprise considering everything happens at the high school.

The two of them walked through a set of doors, hand in hand only for Jordan to pull them to a stop and look to their right as someone stood at the end of the corridor.

"What are you?" Jordan asked as he let go of Angie's hand and began to walk towards the mystery man, the couple having come to the agreement that Jordan would make first contact seeing as they might be the same.

"You know what I am," his deep voice rumbled as he began to advance. "I'm the same as you."

"Ok, then what are you here for?" Jordan asked.

"Not your mate, if that's what you're concerned about," he grumbled and you could see some of the tension ease from Jordan's shoulders, but not much.

"Then what are you protecting? Or is it something you're hunting? Something that got away?"

The other hellhound didn't answer as they heard the sound of a door opening and Mason and Liam walked into the corridor.

"Boys, stay back," Angie warned and they watched as her claws grew silently on her hands.

"Something you let out," the hellhound rasped. "Something that must be stopped.

"Is he talking to you?" Mason asked Liam as the hellhound's eyes drifted towards the two boys.

"I hope not," Liam answered.

And the hellhound let his eyes glow before flicking out his claws and setting his body alight.

And Jordan responded by letting his body do the same as his uniform burned away.

The two creatures growled at each other before they collided and Angie let out a roar of her own as she charged, her fiancé getting tossed into a classroom.

The other hound was surprised that his fire didn't burn her as she landed punches and pushed him into the lockers, at least until he spun out of her grip and slammed her into the metal walls, the dials of the lockers digging into her back as he held her in the air.

"You're a wolf," the hellhound drawled in surprise, Angie shifting back to a human.

"No shit," she wheezed before a column of flame hit her stomach and her eyes glowed red and orange.

The hellhound seemed even more confused before Angie let out a roar, channelling the fire through her feet as she kicked his chest, pushing his body away from her and into Jordan as she fell to the ground and began coughing.

Seeing Angie injured was enough to send Jordan into overdrive as he clawed and punched the hound that hurt his mate. But where Jordan was stronger, the other hellhound was smarter, and a lot older than anyone knew as he flipped Jordan over his shoulder and sank his claws into his back.

The deputy cried out in pain before he was lifted up and slammed onto the ground, his fire going out along with the other hellhounds'. But as Angie charged, she was too late to stop the man she loved from being thrown out the school doors in a ball of fire and falling promptly onto the ground as his lights went out.

"JORDAN!" Angie wailed as she charged at the hellhound.

She scratched at him, her claws that seemed to shine orange like hellfire running down his chest and leaving a trail of blood in their wake. But she was not without her own wounds as he clawed through her arm and the back of her shirt before she boosted herself off the wall of lockers and slammed the hellhound's head into the floor.

"Jordan! Jordan!" she called as she jogged outside, falling to his side as she held his head in her arms, his body scarily cold and unmoving. "Baby? Wake up!"

He gave her no response which only increased her worry as she lowered her lips to his. The veins on her face turned black as she took his pain for what felt like hours but were really just seconds as he began kissing her back before realising what she was doing and pushing her off him.

"You know how much energy that takes out of you," Jordan scolded and Angie's glare told him that she was regretting helping heal him in the first place.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Next time I'll just let you die then."

He tried to laugh but it turned into a cough as she helped him sit up, patting his back to help get whatever was in his lungs out.

"You really scared me, Jordan," she admitted as his coughing stopped and he turned to his side where she sat.

"I didn't mean to, baby," he said as he tiredly tucked some of the fallen strands of her hair behind her ear. "What happened to that other hellhound?"

"Dunno," she informed. "I just distracted it so I could get to you. I don't know if Liam fought him, but he's long gone by now if he hasn't come after us."

"We've got to go after him," Jordan insisted.

"Jordan, he just tried to kill you," she pointed out.

"It wasn't me he's after. Whatever he's hunting is what he's after. We have to help him."

She sighed as she saw the pleading in his eyes. "Alright, fine. But first, we gotta get to the car and clean both of us up. If we call my dad for help, we can't exactly conduct a manhunt in this condition," she relented as she began to help him up only for him to pull her back down.

"One thing first," he said as he brought their lips together and their veins changed as they healed each other, allowing themselves to just feel the other person, their skin, their hair, their touch. And their wounds stitched back together as their energy came back as they pulled apart. "Power up kiss."

"I told you you'd like that name," she boasted as he rolled his eyes at the person he'd willingly agreed to spend the rest of his life with.

"Shut up," he groaned before she helped him up and they began to head for where he'd parked his car.

"Let's go hunt a hellhound."

And as they trekked through the woods, Angie smacked her fiancés' arm as he boasted about winning their bet.