Chapter 47

Angie had learned her lesson thoroughly when it came to fighting creatures that were larger and stronger.

Wear as little clothes as possible so you don't ruin your favourite sweater or your favourite hoodie you stole from your boyfriend. Said boyfriend fought in a half-burned pair of shorts anyway so she didn't see why she couldn't fight in a sports bra and a pair of bike pants.

And it was a good thing too, because she already had wounds on her stomach and legs as the Beast rammed Jordan into the wall. Angie pushed off on the wall as she leapt into the air, landing on the creature's face as she clawed at its eyes, forcing it to let go of Jordan as Chris began firing shell after shell until he was out and then drew both his handguns.

The wolf grabbed Angie as it pulled her from its head, its eye healing before it began crushing her ribs and she let out a pained scream.

And Jordan lost it.

He charged at the Beast like a bull as Angie fell to the floor and Gerard pulled Chris from the way.

"He's not slowing down," Chris said, gun still raised.

"Oh, he will. They both will," Gerard replied as Jordan clawed at the wolf.

"Angie," Chris called as he rushed over to the injured alpha who was trying to pull herself to her feet using the wall, her wounds healing too slowly as she was too tired.

"I'm fine," she lied, her brow lined with sweat and her face contorted with pain before she let out another cry of pain as Chris helped her up, unable to do it without putting strain on her ribs.

But it was her scream that distracted Jordan as he heard it, and the Beast was able to knock him down before getting away. The scorched man sat on the ground tiredly as he tried to find the strength to get up.

"No! Just," Angie cried out as she leaned more on the tunnel wall than on Chris. "Go. You have to stop him. Just give me a minute to heal and I'll be right behind you."

"Angie, Parrish can -"

"He needs whatever strength he has left to stop the Beast. He can't waste it healing me unnecessarily. I'll be fine," she insisted as he eased her back onto the ground.

"Angie! Baby, are you ok?" Jordan asked as he limped over to her, both of them utterly exhausted, but that was nowhere near a strong enough word.

"I'll be fine," she repeated as she heaved. "Go. I'll catch up. I just need a minute."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded as he placed his hand on her cheek which was covered in soot and dried blood. "Yeah. I'll be right behind you."

He pressed his lips to hers, alleviating some of the pain before he pulled away and Chris placed a hand on his shoulder. "We have to go. She'll be fine. Anyone else down here will either be looking for Lydia or the Beast."

Jordan reluctantly stood as he walked off with Chris and Gerard, his body flaming out again as he tracked the creature and Angie rested her head against the wall as she slid down it, her hands coated in her blood as she closed her eyes, trying to get herself to heal.

"Well, this is a familiar sight," said a voice that often haunted the few nightmares she had, and she had to laugh.

"It brings back so many fond memories, doesn't it, Duke?" she asked as her eyes opened to the figure walking towards her.

The blind alpha chuckled as he crouched by her. "It's good to see you, Angie," he said, his glasses on even though he wasn't blind, it was just part of the act.