Chapter 34

The sun had risen as they pulled up at the station where Malia was waiting for Stiles outside, wanting to check up on him. Angie gave them some privacy as she went to visit her boyfriend, both of them sitting on the floor as they leaned against the bars.

"Baby, what is it going to take to get you to go home? You haven't slept since before we found the Nemeton," Jordan said and she only shook her head.

 "I can't be away from you or my dad or my brother until tomorrow," she said as she squeezed his hand through the bars.

"Why?" he asked worriedly.

"Tonight's not just a full moon, it's a supermoon. The moon is closer to the earth, which means controlling the wolf part of me is going to be a million times harder," she explained.

"But what does that have to do with me, Stiles and the Sheriff?"

"You're my anchors," she said as if it should've been obvious.

Jordan only squinted his eyes as he tried to recall what anchors were in the lesson on werewolves that he got months ago. "Refresh my memory on what an anchor is?"

She only smiled at him. "A werewolf needs an anchor to stay human during a full moon. They keep the human side in control otherwise I'd be running around killing anything with a pulse. I had to find mine really fast when I was with the alphas. They didn't like their pack members not in control."

"I thought they took your memories of your family?" Jordan questioned.

"They did, but they can't take everything. Certain things are so deeply imprinted in the brain that they can't be forgotten, even if you don't know the meaning anymore. And when I was little and first learning to speak, I could never say their names correctly. It was always Mischief, Noel and Clouds. They were the three words of my mantra, but lately, I've been using four."

"And what mangled nickname version of my name have you added to the list?" he asked with an annoyed but slightly amused smile.

"None," she replied with a smirk. "It's just Jordan, because that's all I need to anchor me."

Jordan picked up her hand and pressed it to her lips. "Does it help knowing what you are? Or like with Lydia since she also happens to find dead bodies a lot like I do?"

She rolled her eyes at his inability to be open-minded about this but answered his question anyway. "I've never not known what I was, so I don't know if I can answer that, but for Lydia, she went a long time before finding out what she was. I think she's not as scared anymore. She's come to terms with that part of herself. Why? Did she scare you?" Angie had chuckled as she'd asked that question before her hand tensed in his and she realised something. "Have I ever scared you?"

"Once," he admitted and she drew her hand away from his.

"Really? Was it in Mexico?"

He shook his head as he turned to face her, Angie now sitting on her knees. "I told you that I think you're beautiful no matter how you look, and I meant it. It was when that werewolf attacked me. The one with the talons," he explained, and she couldn't help but turn up the corners of her lips.

"Scared me too when I felt the pain of your insides being clawed out."

He huffed a laugh as he shook his head again. "It felt like I was dying, and I was hallucinating you. You were trying to keep me alive, begging me to hang on until you got there. And you scared me, because I thought that was going to be your last memory of me. That you'd find me bloodied and dead on the floor and I'd never even gotten to tell you that I love you one last time."