Chapter 53

After scaring herself and Jordan by waking up in an abandoned bank, Angie was back at work with him for the night shift as he talked to her father. "The cube truck driver's name was Nick Mazzara. He has a record of petty theft and dealing drugs but nothing violent. He was the driver of a medical supply company which gave him access to medical supplies, like helium," Jordan explained.

"Why does a hospital need helium in the first place?" Noah asked.

"It's for Heliox therapy," Jordan answered. "It's mostly used for respiratory injuries caused by fires or explosions. Burn victims from Afghanistan were treated with them at the local recovery hospitals."

"Ok. What about our hospital?" Noah inquired as he looked at the file Jordan handed him.

"Someone's been raiding the supply for months. I'm also compiling a list of Mazzara's known associates. I can start interviews in the morning," he offered, and Noah closed the file as he smiled.

"Nice work Parrish. Very good," he praised as he handed the file back. "But how much of this did Angie help you with?"

"Just the list of associates. Her talent for finding information was handy," he admitted. "Oh, and your wife is in your office."

"My wife?" Noah questioned.

"She brought dinner."

And Noah walked into his office to see Claudia smiling at him as she leaned on his desk.

"I thought I'd surprise you."

******************************************************************

"Hey, hey, hey! The county is not paying you to fool around with your wife," Angie smirked as she walked into her father's office to see her mother on her father's lap as they kissed.

"But I'm the Sheriff, so I can do what I like," Noah retorted as Claudia looped her arms around his neck, content in her seat.

"And I'm the Sheriff's daughter, and your only child, so one might say that I'm the one that can do what I like," she retorted as she made her way over to them and peered into the paper bag on his desk. "Oh, mom, you are a lifesaver," she sighed as she took a bite out of the burger her mother had brought.

"Anything for my Angel," she smiled, and Andie's brows furrowed for all of a second at the sound of the word because, for some reason, it didn't feel right coming from her despite the fact that Angie remember her saying it probably a hundred times. "Oh, where is your lovely deputy? I brought him some food as well. And some coffee to sweeten you both up," Claudia revealed, snapping Angie out of her trance, smiling almost nostalgically at her words.

"Why would you bring him food? He's not part of this family," Noah complained and both women glared and him.

"Dad!"

"Noah, come now, the kids have been together for what? Two years now. We were already engaged by then. Surely you two have talked about marriage by now, with you being mates and all?"

"Mom," Angie whined. "It's already a wonder that dad hasn't scared him off yet, you talking about marriage, definitely will."

"Ok. Fine, my lips are sealed. I promise," she said as she zipped her lips. "Would you like me to go and get him?"

"Oh, I got it," Angie said as she sank a fang into her middle finger.

"Sweetheart, there are other ways of getting someone's attention," her father admonished, and Angie just shrugged.

"It works."

And the door opened as Jordan knocked and peeked his head in. "Angie said there was food," he said as they waved him inside.