A Story of Determination

Sans felt like an idiot, fleeing like that. So what if he had a determination soul, it wasn't like he was the kid... it was just a stupid soul and Shota would never toy with Sans the way they had. It was fine. He would be ok. Reset probably died with Frisk and the others of his species. Time was flowing and he was on the surface and he was happy. He had a good job and a potential love interest and they couldn't take that away. "Sans." He hadn't realized that Shota had already found him or that he'd pulled up his hood to hide from the world or that he was death gripping his jacket around him. Sans became aware of where he went. The shed to Papyrus. He was sitting outside the elevator. He'd instinctively sought out his little brothers comfort and it only made him more depressed knowing he wouldn't get it. Shota sighed and crouched in front of him. "What happened, Sans?" When he didn't reply, Shota gently pried his digits from his jacket and squeezed his hands, making Sans blush. "Talk to me, please." The story was impossible, Shota wouldn't believe him... "your soul... freaked me out... sorry.."

💠💠💠

Sans got up and Shota followed behind him. "i-i'll explain, i just... don't tell nezu." Shota looked confused until Sans pried open the scanner and started messing with it. In a minute, the doors slid open and Shota's heart skipped a beat. Watching Sans break in was hot! It was obvious this wasn't his first time either. "come on, i'll explain down there... i'm warning you, this is gonna sound... insane." Shota followed Sans inside and the doors closed, the elevator sending them down. "I'm assuming it has something to do with souls and with you being the only expert in the field, I kinda have to believe you." Shota gave Sans a teasing grin. "Especially if we are going to be dating~." Sans covered his face in an attempt to hide his blush. "oh my stars, is this actually happening-" Shota quirked a brow. "You... have dated before, right..?" Sans gulped. "uh, i should probably tell you more about souls, huh?" Shota recognized this as a no. He would be Sans first boyfriend, huh? He didn't mind showing him the ropes. "Tell away. I am curious." Shota agreed.

💠💠💠

Sans looked up at his friends. "so to start, normal human souls are a lot more powerful than monster souls, each soul holding a unique trait and power. this... power could be unlocked if exposed to extreme amounts of magic like, for instance, the barrier." Sans explained. "this in theory would give a human 'mage' status without actually being a mage. mages are humans born with magic by the way, they went extinct after the war." Sans sighed. "anyway, the strongest soul trait is determination, your soul trait. the last fallen human, frisk, also had a determination soul trait. defeated monsters with kindness... broke the barrier... we were free..." Shota frowned. "You were crystallized." Sans shook his head. "not the first time... not even the hundredth time." He chuckled bleakly. "remember what i said earlier, about humans gaining the ability of a mage if exposed to large amounts of magic? frisk became one of these mock mages when they broke the barrier the first time and gained the power to reset time back to when they first fell. worse, nobody could remember but me." Shota could tell that this wasn't going to be a good story.

💠💠💠

Sans sighed a little. "i don't want to go into too much detail, but i could only remember because i also possess a bit of human determination in my soul. to most monsters, if not introduced at a very young age, human determination is lethal. very few species, like undyne here, possess small bits of natural monster determination. not as strong as human determination, but still very powerful compared to normal monster souls. being the only one who could remember, it was up to me to try and stop them from resetting our world and toying with our lives. they... nothing could've ever prepared me for what happened next..." Sans inhaled and looked at Shota with a hard stare that Shota knew wasn't directed at him. "they killed us all." Sans clenched his fists. "they killed us then pretended it didn't happen the reset after only to kill us again the reset after that. over and over, i became paranoid of their next route, i was terrified of their power, their soul. then that... final pacifist route happened, and for whatever reason... they didn't reset. i wanna find out why but-" Shota hugged Sans, stopping him in his tracks.

💠💠💠

Shota carried Sans out of the shed/lab. It was about time they went home. The pro definitely had... a lot on his mind after hearing Sans story, his past, but he trusted Sans to be truthful with him. Shota also had a lot of questions regarding Sans and the human determination, but now wasn't the time to ask. Sans fixed and put the scan back in its place before Shota picked him up and Sans clung to his... uh... boyfriend like a koala or sloth. That was something he was going to have to get used to, wasn't it? Having a boyfriend. A human boyfriend with a determination soul who was the opposite of Frisk and saved lives rather than destroy them. Sans closed his sockets and buried his face into Shota's shoulder. His grip tightened around Shota. "thanks... for listening..." Shota hummed. "Anytime Sans, if you ever need to talk, I'm here for you." Sans smiled a little. "and i'm here for you too... sweetheart." Shota smiled too, a faint blush painting his cheeks.