Ash and Dust

The Sanitarium was old. Decrepit. Meant to be torn down soon. It almost looked like everyone had walked out. Decayed gurneys and broken medical equipment in each room. Sans supposed it was what they had to do, considering there were no more monsters left after Asgore. They all split up again to search the floors and find something of importance. Sans ended up in the basement where the morgue was. Jars of unclaimed monster dust still sat cold in there. Monsters who hadn't had human families to claim then...in there Sans had found Grillby's ash... among some other familiar names. He couldn't just leave them to be destroyed, so the urns were placed inside his inventory, besides Grillby, whom he felt the need to hold. Grillby had been like a second parent to him, after all. The search for clues continued with minimal luck. That was until Papyrus called for everyone to go to the second floor. The nameplate to the door barely read Sans' name, but that wasn't important. It was the message carved into it in Wingdings that was. "W-what are those?" Alphys stammered. "underground... the those spell out the word underground..." Gaster seemed to have left him a message.

💠💠💠

There had been some questions on the way back to the hotel. Mostly about how Sans knew about the cipher. Sans had said that it wasn't a cipher but rather a font. One that an old friend of his had known and taught him. From there, the subject had changed to the urn Sans was carrying. Sans was happy to show then whose urn it was. "i am half tempted to throw him in a fire, see if i can revive him... heh... but his soul's been gone for hundreds of years... i doubt i'd work..." His brother hugged him tightly, knowing how much Grillby meant to him... to them... the other two murmured soft condolences to the skeletons. Sans told them about the other urns on him. The new 'mission' became finding decent places to spread the dust of these poor lost souls. Once more, the group was split up as they went to do what was right for those monsters, roaming the city with a few urns in hand each. Once that was done, Sans had three urns left. Grillby's and the King and Queen's. They would be joining Chara and Asriel in the Underground on Thursday.

💠💠💠

The others were already back in the pool when the monsters got back from their task. "Sans, why do you have an urn?" Shota had greeted them all before asking. A few other curious teachers peeked to see. "this is my adopted dad, actually. we found him while searching for answers..." Sans replied softly. "thinking of spitting his ash into necklaces or something... something so pap and i can keep him close..." Shota said no more, instead hugging his boyfriend and giving his condolences. "We can do whatever you want... he raised you, I get you wanting him close..." Shota went with Sans to their room to find a safe place for him. "i think we will be staying here, tomorrow... it's been a long, emotional day and there's really only one place left to go from here..." Shota nodded in understanding. "That's fine, Sans." Shota and Sans got ready to go to bed early. Shota was curious about Grillby, curious as to what he would have thought of him being with Sans. Mostly, he was empathetic for the monsters. Sans and his friends shouldn't have had to go through this.

💠💠💠

Sans and Shota spent their night cuddling and Shota let Sans sleep as 1-A got ready for their last day of American style crime fighting. No doubt whoever had Katsuki in their unit was having a blast, pun not intended. For the first time in a long time, Sans slept until way past noon before getting woken up by Undyne pounding on the door. Sans groaned and took a shortcut out of bed and to the door, pulling it open tiredly. "Good morning, you're coming with us!" Without another word, Undyne picked Sans up and tucked him under her arm. Sans let it happen. They all ended up taking him to the breakfast area where he more or less melted sleepily to the table. "So, how did you become a hero?" Undyne asked. "I Am Ready To Be The Greatest Hero Of All Time!" Papyrus chirped. Sans blinked sleepily. They choose quite the time to be ready. "'s something ya gotta talk to nezu about... he did all that for me..." Sans replied, making the two groan. Of course he did. "A-and the t-tech s-support..?" Alphys asked shyly. Sans gave her an apologetic shrug. He had no idea.

💠💠💠

It was good to know they were ready. Sans knew they would fit their rolls well. He got back to his room, pulled out Grillby to clean his urn up a bit. "so i noticed little sis fuku wasn't in the morgue in there with ya... she must've found a nice human boy to take her home when, uh, it happened. or maybe it was a human girl? maybe someone else all together? i dunno, i was kinda stuck in a giant crystal for a hundred and thirty years, so-" Sans paused as he srubbed away a particularly bad spot. "i'm surprised you didn't, a hot guy like you..." He punned. It was more awkward for him then it was Grillby. "we thought of spreading your ashes somewhere, like the others, but we couldn't think of a spot... so you're still stuck with us, heh..." Finally, finally Sans felt himself tear up. "i-i missed you... i-i missed you so much, grillbz! y-you and d-dad a-and asgore and tori a-and everyone!" He broke down now, while he was alone. Let himself release a lot of pent up emotions.