44.

Strangely, Yuzuru's tears didn't come. He expected them but after crying the whole evening he didn't have it in him to keep crying.

Once the doctor told him the news, he strangely just nodded and asked if he could be by Bri's side. He needs to touch her, and feel her presence even if it hurt to see her like that.

Mary had been strangely quiet since they entered the room, she watched him sit by her sister's side, his hand automatically wrapping on hers, and waited for the doctor to leave.

"How are you?" She asked sincerely.

"How do you think?" Yuzuru glared at her.

"Okay okay... Just, I'm here, you know. It hurts me too, but I can't imagine how you're feeling."

"I don't know Mary. Part of me is just glad Bri is alive, while the other is still processing that we lost our daughter. But I have to be strong, Brianna is going to be crazy once she knows."

"It's going to take a while for her to wake up, you can go home, get a shower, change clothes, and rest for a bit."

"No! I'm not leaving her!" His tone was unlike anything Mary ever heard and she didn't dare to fight it.

"At least give me your keys, I will pick up some fresh clothes for you before going home."

Yuzuru nodded and thanked Mary, he felt bad for snapping at her but his emotions were all over the place.

"Yuzu?" She called out before leaving.

"Why did you call her your wife?"

He was lost for words, in the middle of the mess he had dropped that tiny little bomb, but there was no advantage to hiding now.

"Because she is"

"You're getting married in a few months..."

"No, we are having a wedding in a few months"

Mary was shocked but couldn't be mad at the hurt boy in front of her.

"When?"

"Trip at the Ryokan, we just wanted to get it over with. All the plans were driving us crazy"

"You know I both love and hate that?"

"It's not that we didn't want you all to be there, it's more that we wanted to do something for us instead of others for once. Please don't tell anyone, my mom will kill me."

"Okay okay. Let's wait until Bri is all good so I can give you both a decent lecture for doing it behind my back"

Yuzuru gave her a soft smile and watched her leave. He didn't know when, but eventually, he fell asleep, all too tired of the emotional wreck that was that day.

Brianna felt herself waking up in a strange place, the lights too bright for her tired eyes. The first thing she felt was pain, her whole body ached but she couldn't remember what had happened. She recognized the surroundings as the hospital, the soft sound of the monitor beeping, the smell of disinfectant.
The second thing she noticed was a strong hand holding hers, she glanced in the direction of her hand and saw her husband fast asleep in the most awkward position ever that was certainly going to hurt after he woke up.

She was confused for a second until the memories of yesterday started flooding. Hiro, the blood, her baby, and tears started to flood. Brianna knew it was never good news if you were bleeding while being pregnant, her small belly was still almost the same, but the absence of that special feeling made her heartache. Their daughter was gone.

Brianna couldn't imagine what Yuzuru had gone through that night, had he been the one finding her? She squeezed his hand out of instinct and he stirred immediately.

She watched with love how the man she loved opened his eyes softly and was disturbed by how light the room was. It took him some moments to wake up properly and realize her open eyes looking at him with love but once he did, his expression was gorgeous.

"You're awake!" He said with far too much enthusiasm for someone who had just woken up.

"Yes" she answered, voice still rough, that was the first word she uttered after waking up.
He stood up and sat on the bed, carefully bringing her into his arms and pecking her lips.

"You scared me so much. How are you feeling?"

"My whole body hurts, but it's okay"

"It's not okay, I will call the doctor to see if we can do anything about it"

"Yuzu"

"Hum?"

"She's gone isn't she?"

Brianna didn't need to say anything else, he knew what she was talking about right away. His words failed him so he just nodded and saw her eyes get brighter. The tears never came, she wanted to be strong for both their sakes.

"Okay. We will be fine" she finally said. "We are strong"

Yuzuru sat by her side again and tried to comfort her as best as he could. "We will, you're my warrior" he said with a small smile. "Baby, once you're ready, I need you to tell me what happened."

"Hiro..."

As soon as the word left her mouth, Yuzuru stood up alarmed, and took his phone, starting to dial a number immediately.

"Yuzu, honey. Please..."

"I won't take too long, I'm just making sure he won't ever touch you again."

"I don't want you in trouble, let the authorities deal with it"

"We tried that and he got to you again."

"With me being admitted to the hospital, the aggression being a recurrence, and what he made us lose he's going in for life. Please, baby. I need you here, not getting arrested."

Yuzuru couldn't resist her pleas. After a call to the police, he settled by her side again.

"He doesn't deserve your kindness, the things he has done..."

"Believe me, I would kill him with my own hands, but it's not the right thing to do. And you, Hanyu Yuzuru, are a role model for too many people.

"I'm getting you bodyguards this time until he is locked up. It's my condition, Bri, don't fight it"

She just nodded, knowing there was no point in fighting this.

They would be okay.