26. Going to Vicki's

Brody's POV

I finally was allowed out of the hospital after about two weeks. I told them I was fine, but I needed to stay another week just to be sure. Now I can walk with just a little limp. It's only noticeable if you really pay attention.

I climb out of my bed and head to the kitchen to see my mom making breakfast.

"Hey mom." I yawn.

"Good morning Brody." She says and hands me a plate of eggs and bacon. My favorite!

"Oh thank you!" I say and grab the plate and run to the kitchen table.

"Are you hungry or what?" My mom laughs. I stuff my face with bacon and look back over to her.

"Mmhmmfffgghmmm." I mumble with a mouth full of food. She scrunches up her face.

"OK, don't talk with your mouth full." My mom puts one hand on her hip and points at me.

"Sorry." I say after I swallowed.

"Yeah I know. So, are you and Ryder going to Vicki's house for lunch today?" She asks sitting down with her food.

"Uh, I think so. Let me ask." I pull out my phone and text Ryder.

Brody: R we still going to Vicki's house today??

I finish eating and put my plate in the sink.

"I still feel so bad for Vicki," My mom says staring out the window, "I know Turner did something very bad, but I know how much missing a child feels like. It must be especially hard because he was her only kid." I suddenly stop walking.

"Uh, yeah. It must really be hard." I say quietly.

"What's wrong Brody?" She says suddenly concerned. I turn around to look at her and my eyes start to tear up.

"Mom, I know something. Its something bad about Turner's family and ours." I say and I take a deep breath.

"What?" She asks and stands up really fast.

"Alex Chase was Turner's father," I whisper, "Adam died in that building I was in. I was there mom." She gasps and covers her mouth with her hand.

"Brody. I-I" She just stutters and pulls me in for a hug. I feel her cry on my shoulder and I hug her tighter.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. She shakes her head.

"F-for what?"

"For telling you. We were having a good day and I just ruined it." I say and look at my feet.

"No, I'm glad I know." She grabs my face and smiles, "I'm OK." She walks over to the counter and starts to clean up breakfast. I open my mouth to say something, but my phone goes off before I can.

Ryder: If u can then yes I want to

Brody: Yeah I want to go can I pick u up?

"Mom, Me and Ryder are going to go to Vicki's today." I say and help her clean up.

"OK, that sounds good." She smiles. My phone goes off again.

Ryder: K pick me up whenever

Brody: Alright see u soon

"I'm going to pick her up right now." I say.

"Alright I'll see you when you get home." I grab my keys and open the door. Before I step out I look over at my mom.

"I don't think I say this enough, but I love you mom." I smile at her and she looks up.

"I love you too." She smiles back and gives me a hug before I leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pull into Ryder's driveway and before I can get out she runs out and hops into the passenger seat.

"Hey." She says and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey." I say. She looks out the window and sighs.

"I don't think I can do this." She whispers. I grab her hand and she looks at me.

"Yes you can. I know you can." I reassure her. She smiles and pulls on her seat belt.

"Thanks...let's go." She grabs my hand and I pull out of the driveway.