I Remember His Hands

I remember his hands,
And the way the mountains moved.
The lights shot diamonds from his eyes.
Hungry for life.

"Gabriel, I'm scared, what if something happens?" Nathalie whispered, cradling her still growing stomach, they'd only been back from Jamaica for two weeks now, and Nathalie was worried as to why she was having braxton hicks at twenty-four weeks, and as she still had felt no movement from her baby, she was panicking even more.

"Nothing will happen, you both will be fine."

"Don't you remember what happened when Emilie died?"

"Of course I do, Nathalie. But nothing like that will happen again."

"You can't be sure of that!" The young woman now sobbed.

"I had two babies, Gabriel! I didn't even get to meet the second, they took her from me, I didn't get to see her, I didn't get to say goodbye!" She cried.

"And I only got to hold my son one time. One time, Gabriel!"

"I remember it so vividly, Gabriel. I remember how his tiny palm wrapped around my finger, and how his eyes shimmered in the light. He died in my arms, Gabriel. I didn't even get five minutes with him before he passed!"

"They told me my daughter, our daughter was stillborn, and I never got to see her."

"What if something happens to this one!? What am I going to do if that happens, Gabriel!? I cannot go through that again." She rasped, clinging on to her chest, her breathing speeding up.

Gabriel immediately went to hold her, not saying a word as she shook and sobbed in his arms.

"It's okay, it's okay." He whispered into her hair, kissing the top of her head repeatedly.

"It's not okay, Gabriel!" She yelled, trying to move away.

While getting up, Nathalie froze, she took a firm hold of her stomach and shut her eyes tightly, taking a deep breath.

"Nathalie!" Gabriel jumped up, rushing towards her and pulling her back and down onto the bed.

"It's okay, I'm okay. I just need....a second." She breathed, squeezing her eyes even tighter together.

"Just breathe, it's okay." He whispered, holding her hand and holding her close.

Nathalie gasped and her eyes shot open, she looked down at her stomach and smiled lightly, her eyes filling with tears.

"Gabriel, put your hand here!" She squealed.

Gabriel did as she said, though quite confused.

He gasped, looking up at her.

"Did I really feel that?" He whispered.

Nathalie nodded tearfully.

"She kicked!" She whimpered.

"I thought I did something. God, I thought I killed her!" Nathalie now sobbed.

"I told you it would be okay, did I not, my love?" Gabriel smiled, wiping his eyes.

"I'm sorry for yelling."

"It's completely fine, Nath. I understand," He paused.

"I lost them too, y'know."

"I know, and I'm sorry for invalidating your feelings. What I said earlier was unfair, I was acting as if it was only me that lost our children that day." Nathalie whispered, wrapping her arms around him.

Gabriel hugged her back tenderly, tracing small, comforting circles on the clothed skin of her back.

"I'm so sorry." Nathalie whispered, burying her face in the crook of his neck.

"Hush now, my love. I don't want you to stress."

Nathalie nodded solemnly, her eyes drifting to a small picture on her bedside of her sobbing with a pained smile as she held her son.

She quickly looked away again, her eyes full of tears.

Nathalie placed a hand on her stomach and closed her eyes, praying that nothing would happen to her daughter.

A/N: short, ik but it's leading up to something😭