Part 24- I Know Who You Are

Melinoe and her sisters watched in shock as the black sand dome entrapped their mother with the boogeyman. They jumped out of the shadows and down from the rafters where they'd been hiding.

"Get away from me. Go ahead and say what you want to say, but say it from six feet away." they heard their mother's voice.

"Well, I must say, I am very glad to have found where you've been hiding from me for the past one thousand years. It certainly is an upgrade, finer than our old home, but you were always particular about those things." an unfamiliar voice said.

At least we can hear everything they say, as long as I hear her voice, I know that she's alive. Melinoe thought as the three girls ran toward the dome.

"I think that she's on her own now, no matter what we want to do." the Easter Bunny said. Mel looked to her left and saw the Guardians and Jack a little ways down.

"Get out of my home Pitch Black. Go back to the hell hole you came from." Lorelai said.

"Oh, not happy to see me darling? It is too much to ask, I suppose. Why it's only the second time you've seen your husband in one thousand years." Pitch chuckled.

"What?" the rabbit said.

"Oh no." Mel heard Jack say under his breath.

"Ex husband. I left you." Lorelai spoke up.

"Pitch was- and Lorelai- what?" North said confused.

"I knew that we couldn't trust her." Bunny said.

"Oh, really. I never quite realized that. You know that most people nowadays just walk up to their spouse and tell them that they want a divorce. You tried to end my life." the boogeyman said bitterly.

"Was that not obvious enough? What? Did you want a giant sign? I don't love you anymore and I'm going to kill you because you're evil? Do tell me, what more could I have done for it to process in your bigoted brain that I hate you?" her mother's sarcasm shone through at all moments of her life, even when confronting her estranged husband who she hates.

"We need to get in there and help Momma." Melinoe said.

"How?! This thing won't break! And I'm great at breaking things!" Hecate exclaimed as she shoved herself against the dome, punched it and slashed one of her swords at it, shattering it.

"A conversation perhaps?" Pitch said.

"Actions speak louder than words." she snapped back.

"Plus Mama wouldn't want us there. She probably wants us to hide and let her deal with the monsters, like always." Nyx said.

"Why yes, I would agree. Your actions spoke to me, loud and clear. They also broke me. But in time, I have accepted your mistake. You surely did not want to harm me, it was of their influence, the Guardians and the Moon. In time, I have accepted your apology." the cold voice that Mel knew was her father spoke.

"She needs help, we can't let her face this by herself. We can't keep hiding because she's scared. I can't keep hiding because she's scared. I'm sick of it and I'm sick of having to be scared because I don't know if she's okay or needs help."

"Apology? What apology? Who said I wanted to apologize?" their mother asked.

"But what if being there makes her more scared?" Nyx asked, her words falling on deaf ears.

"The one that you've surely wanted to give me. The one that says that you regret what you did and still love me." Pitch said.

"I'm sick of hiding too, but how do you think you're gonna get to her? She's stuck in a magic cage that you can't break, remember?" Hecate said.

"That apology is in existent. I stopped loving you years before that night. I would have done what I did if the moon had never spoken to me, I would have done that if the moon didn't even exist, if there was nothing in the night sky, I would have done it. My only regret is that I didn't succeed. My only regret is that you lived to this day." Lorelai spoke.

"A magic cage that you can't break."

"I'd disagree. I saw you hesitate when you had me on the ground at your mercy. One simply does not fall out of love with no reason. And..." the boogeyman's voice died down, too quiet to be heard.

"A magic cage made by my father to trap my mother. To keep them in and everyone else out." she whispered to herself. "Keep them in! That's it!" she realized.

"Keep what? What's it?" Hecate asked her.

Melinoe placed her hands on the dome and closed her eyes. I am Princess Melinoe Estelle Azrael of Hades. I am the first born daughter of Pitch Black and Lorelai Azrael. Let me in. she thought to herself.

"Mel!" she heard one of her sisters say. She opened her eyes to see herself partway through the dome. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and continued in.

"You want me to join you again? Well then, I'll tell you this. It. Will. Never. Happen. Just because I don't want to join them, does not mean that I want to join you again. What you do is wrong, you'll destroy this world. I'll never join you again. Never." Lorelai's words were loud and clear, spoken through gritted teeth.

Melinoe opened her eyes. Her mother sat against the wall. The boogeyman stood over her. I did it! she thought. Her mother's sword was a foot away from Melinoe. She picked it up and clicked the button on the hilt changing it to a rapier, one of the swords that she had grown comfortable with.

"Well then, if you aren't with me then you're against me. And those who are against me will not be spared. I believe that I will start with you. Say goodnight Lorelai." Pitch raised a sword made of black sand, a sick smile on his face. Lorelai just stared at him, seeming to have accepted this.

"I'd disagree with that. Step away from my mother." Melinoe stepped behind him and placed the tip of her sword against his back. Pitch jumped out of the way, across the room. He was shocked at how someone had gotten into the cage. From across the room, he realized that the someone was a child.

Melinoe moved forward, turning to face the man who didn't know who she was, but soon would. Her back was to her mother, protecting her.

"Oh no. Mel, get away." Lorelai said, acceptance on her face turned to fear.

"No mother, I will not." Melinoe said, voice cold and emotionless like her mother had taught her.

"Melinoe, get out of here. As your queen-" Lorelai said.

"-And as your daughter, I will not leave you." Melinoe interrupted.

"Well well well. How very interesting. A child. Do tell me girl, do you know who I am?" Pitch spoke.

"Yes, I know who you are. You are my father. And I'm not afraid of you."