Part 33- The wrong decision

Min marched forward, leading the warriors toward the monster, which continued to screech its threats. A black tentacle snaked its way towards Min. She did not react to its approach, only slicing it off when it got within reach.

The end that she'd sliced off vanished into shadow and sand. The monster pulled back its tentacle, roaring in anger. 

It sent another one creeping towards her. She cut it off again, quick and efficient. The monster thrust other tentacles at her and the warriors. They destroyed them before they got within reach to perform any damage.

They continued their march forwards. The monster had stretched itself out, surrounding its true form with black chaos, like Min had just fought less than an hour ago. They reached the outer edge of the storm. With a clean slice, like Moses parting the red sea, Min parted the smog, creating a tunnel toward the center. She marched on, the smog closing behind the Ancient Ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorelai watched, uncertain, as her oldest friends were swallowed up by the shadows. Karma, please, please, please. If I have ever done anything good, let them survive this. I'll take a century of bad karma, so long as you grant them this. She prayed to the spirit of luck. 

Karma was petty and vengeful. they may give Pitch the upper hand in this instance because Lorelai ate their doughnut last week. They may grant Lorelai's wish for what Pitch had done during the dark ages. No one can ever tell with Karma.

"Mom, where's Nyx and Hecate?" Melinoe asked her, snapping her back to reality, with a new fear. A small scream made her head turn. 

Nyx on the ground, Hecate standing over her, fighting off one of the monster's tentacles, while another one crept up behind her. Lorelai quickly drew one of her knives, before throwing it at the tentacle that Hecate didn't see. The tentacles drew themselves back into the mass of black as the two girls ran towards their mother. Lorelai grabbed hold of them and held them to her for what felt like an hour, though it was only a few minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been about twenty minutes. Min knew this because she'd been counting. 20 minutes, 56 seconds *slash* 20 minutes, 58 seconds *lunge* *jump* *stab* 21 minutes, 3 seconds

They'd broken up when they became surrounded, each of them going off to try to find the center of the creature. The darkness was thick and full of Pitch's essence, blocking off her soul sight. 

They were, in every way possible, fighting blind.

Min did not like the deja vu.

21 minutes, 47 seconds. She started running, frantic to find someone, anyone. They had made a mistake, separating. Why hadn't they learnt from last time? Had they made the wrong decision?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorelai stood up, cold seeping through her.

"Oh no," she whispered. 

"Momma?" someone asked. Lorelai did not have time to recognize the voice before she was jerked away, pulled to answer someone's last word.

She appeared just as the gun went off. A swipe of her scythe and the man was dead. Lorelai grabbed his soul's arm as they returned to the underworld as quickly as Lorelai had appeared.

"It's starting," she said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------