Part 20- A Tale Needed To Be Told

Hi, this is a long one. The full story of Lorelai's hate for Pitch, how she'd met the Guardians and why she'd never help the moon. Enjoy :)

"Oh my darling, why do you weep?" Pitch asked her.

"I have lost everything." Lorelai replied.

"So have I. Come with me and I can help you." he offered his hand and she took it.

"What is your name, beautiful?" he asked.

"Lorelai Azrael. And yours?"

"Pitch Black."

"I met him the night I woke up the Grim Reaper. It had been over twenty years since I had died, drowned and murdered by the men of my enemy village, Redwood. When I awoke, I returned home to find my village conquered by Redwood, and invisible to all, but their dying. The moon appeared, and gave me a new name and an order: do not seek vengeance on the village who had destroyed mine."

"And then, Pitch came. He picked me up and brought me with him to his home. He listened to what I knew, and gave me answers to the questions I had. He helped me learn about who I was."

"You are a spirit, like me. We can only be seen by people who believe in us. The moon chooses us and when we die, we stay here in the mortal world, instead of passing on to nothingness. You'll be the spirit of something. All of us have certain things that we give to the people of the earth. Like how I'm the spirit of fear and nightmares."

"Those sound like such horrid things to be the spirit of."

"Perhaps, but without fear, how do you prepare for danger?"

"He'd shown a romantic interest in me from the moment we first met. And I, soon enough, fell for his charms. I became his wife and I was happy. I'd made a fair few Reapers, by then and I lived with him, happily. We were happy. But then something changed."

"Lorelai, love. I've been wondering. You and I, Death and Fear. We will always exist, unlike hope and light. Like what you said earlier, what is it?" he lay on their bed, Lorelai's head on his chest.

"With light comes shadows. Without light, there's still darkness. Without shadows, there's nothing for light to shine on. Is that it dear?" she looked up at her husband.

"Yes that. People will always believe in us. But why can we not be seen?"

She chuckled. "You're asking the wrong person love. Do I not wonder every day about why only the dying or cursed can see me? Have I not already made you furious with my constant question that you don't know the answer to?"

"Yes, that is true. But what if we were seen? What if there was so much fear and death that they started to believe in us?"

"If there was so much death, there wouldn't be anyone to believe in us. Now go back to sleep, you're giving me a headache."

"Pitch got an idea, he was good at getting ideas. He wondered why him and I were never seen by anyone, when Fear and Death were always believed in and would always exist. He went to the moon every night, and asked him 'Why are we invisible? Why can no one see us?'. I started to do it too, though not as often as him, not every night."

Lorelai watched from the door frame of their house, at her husband who stood outside, speaking to the silent moon.

"My friend, I beg you. Please just tell me. This question is driving me to madness, why can I not be seen? Why can my wife not be seen? They know we exist, so why are we invisible?"