Chapter 6

Trying to avoid Alden, Tyon didn't spend any time with Amauri nowadays and Alden couldn't take it anymore. He tried waiting for Tyon to come back when he was less busy but he saw how disappointed the child got every time he was absent. Therefore Alden took his courage and went straight to Tyon's study. Two knights were standing guard there and seemed quite frightened seeing the young man march towards them but he didn't give them time to react and knocked before opening the door.

Tyon looked up and frowned seeing Alden in his study. He hadn't seen a lot of the young man these last days and felt his heart beat strangely at his sight. How come even his dress didn't seem that awful that morning?

"Mister Alden? What are you doing here?

-Amauri misses you and I know you have a lot of work but two meals a day is really nothing. Especially if you are not coming to those meals."

Tyon knew he was in the wrong but he felt ashamed about the reason why he hadn't been coming lately and being grounded like a child irritated him greatly :

"You have no idea how much work I have.

-I beg to differ.

-How could you?

-My father is a knight too."

Tyon was taken aback by this declaration. He had never thought about Alden's family and realized he knew nothing about them. In fact he didn't know anything about Alden. He didn't know how old he was, where he lived... He never wanted to know more about anyone and realized even if he knew nothing about Alden, he was one of the people he knew best.

"And even if I didn't, one hour a day is child's play. Everyone has to eat. Don't tell me you do photosynthesis."

Alden was really proud of his joke and had a hard time not laughing. He covered his mouth and looked away while a smirk appeared on Tyon's lips. Alden was really surprised seeing that and completely forgot to laugh his eyes wide open:

"You can smile?"

Tyon immediately froze and tried shrugging it off as if nothing happened :

"I didn't.

-You did! Was my joke that funny? Oh my! I never would have thought even the cardinal of Death would warm up to me. Watch out global warming because I will make everything worse."

Tyon frowned. Warming up? He wasn't warming up to anyone. Alden had only been there for half a month and Tyon did realize that his opinion on the man changed a lot but he couldn't admit he had warmed up to him. Alden always defied him and he hated that. Seeing his frown Alden smiled :

"That's more like you. I got scared for a moment. You could have been a copycat, who knows."

Tyon signed :

"Stop spewing nonsense."

Alden shrugged :

"Anyway, you should at least eat with Amauri. He misses you a lot. You may be the way you are but you are his Dada despite everything."

With that he just turned around to leave. Tyon was really pissed by the air of superiority he had. Did he think he would do anything he wanted just because he ordered it? He really wanted to do the opposite but he realized that would be childish and signed. Alden was right but he never would have admitted it.

That same evening, Tyon joined his small family for dinner and he couldn't deny how touched he was when he saw the smile on his nephew's face. He never had felt so welcome before and would have even smiled if Alden hadn't been acting like that around him. The young man smiled too but his smile had nothing warm in it. It was the smile of someone who won for the second time against Tyon. This made Tyon's blood boil. He couldn't lose face to this man. Not in his own house.