Chapter 29

Tyon had been very nice to Alden lately but Alden didn't understand why and had no proof that this would always be the case. He really felt safe around Tyon and they were really tactile with each other which was even worse. He couldn't trust Tyon. Never. But as Alden was thinking about this, Tyon had already caught up to him. Hearing his name, Alden stopped and turned around with a smile:

"Sorry, I should have knocked."

Seeing this smile, Tyon felt his tears swell up.

"Don't apologize. I am sorry. I didn't know it was you. I told you I would never hurt you. Never.

-Stop!"

Tyon didn't dare move. He raised his hands in an attempt to calm Alden down:

"I am not coming closer. Everything is fine.

-Stop pretending to be nice!

-I am not pretending, Alden...

-You are! I saw your eyes!

-I didn't know it was you...

-It doesn't make any sense! Are you this cold to everyone except for me?

-Yes.

-Doesn't make any sense! Why? Tell me why!

-Alden...

-I don't trust you. You don't have to lie to me, I love Amauri and will stay anyway but don't lie to me. Stop being so nice because I can't take it anymore. I can't just wait around for you to show your real face!"

Tyon slowly lowered his hands taking a few steps towards a panicked Alden.

"I didn't lie to you.

-You did.

-No... And I am so sorry if I made you think otherwise. Yes I look at everyone else that way but you don't have to knock when you come to see me. I would never look at you that way. Never.

-Why? Because I am Amauri's mommy? That doesn't make any sense! I turned a blind eye until now but it is too much.

-Because you are you. You are Amauri's mommy, you are Alden, you are you.

-What does that mean?

-I... I love you."

Alden froze.

"What?

-I love you."

Alden thought he was dreaming.

"What are you talking about?

-I didn't like you at first. Because I was an idiot. I knew nothing about you and thought I did. I thought you were just like every self centered noble but when I got to know you just a little bit I saw how wrong I had been. I immediately regretted it and soon realized what I really felt.

-What...

-I always want to look at you, always want to touch you, I want to wake up every morning with you in my arms, I want to...

-Stop! What...

-You don't have to believe me. I just want you to know that you are different. I will never look at you that way because it is you. I would never hurt you, Alden. I told you already and will continue telling you every day. You don't have to trust me. Just let me prove it to you. That's all I ask.

-You...

-I would never hurt you, Alden. I told you that you could kill me any time if you don't believe me.

-What are you..."

Alden's brain was completely lost. What was going on? Was Tyon really telling the truth? Would he really not hurt him? He did act that way for months but Alden didn't want to be betrayed. He didn't want to believe it. He couldn't.

"You don't have to trust me, Alden. Don't think too much about it. You don't have anything to do. I will prove to you every day that I won't hurt you. Never."

Alden was shaking completely at a loss for words. He didn't want to trust these words. But why were his eyes so honest? Just at that moment, Amauri who had been looking for his mommy saw him and seeing how scared he looked, Amauri got overtaken by adrenaline. He jumped between his parents and pointed his wooden sword at Tyon, his eyes ice cold.

"What did you say to mommy?"

Both parents jumped by surprise seeing the little kid arrive out of nowhere. Tyon raised his hands while looking at his child:

"It was a misunderstanding.

-Mommy looks terrified. What did you do?"

Alden woke up and gently grabbed Amauri's shoulders:

"Everything is fine, Amauri. Tyon didn't do anything.

-You are lying. You were shaking. I will protect you mommy. You will never get hurt with me."

Alden smiled. He believed Amauri. He believed him with all his heart because children didn't lie. Looking at him, Alden knew he was safe. Even if someday Tyon would hurt him, Amauri will protect him and that calmed him down.

"I really am fine. I got scared because of something and dada was helping me calm down."

Amauri stared at his mommy before lowering his sword slowly. He still glared at his Dada:

"If you hurt mommy, I am killing you.

-Amauri!"

Alden got really surprised.

"If I ever hurt your mommy, you are free to kill me immediately."

What was this family's problem with death?

"What did you want to tell me? asked Tyon.

-Oh, we are invited to go to the circus with the Pardirages.

-Will Blaze be there?

-Yes.

-That's super!

-I am happy to hear that."

Amauri never went to the circus before and seemed very excited at the idea of going for the first time:

"What is the circus like?"

Alden thought about it.

"It is a big red and white marquee with clowns and acrobats. They do a lot of dangerous and impressive things. I like it.

-I can't wait!"

Soon the day of the event arrived and the little family happily got into the carriage to go to the circus. Amauri was so excited that he didn't sit down during the whole ride. He was standing in front of the window looking outside and skipping with a smile. Seeing this, Tyon immediately said:

"Sit down."

Before Alden came, Amauri usually made himself very small but now he just stared at his dada before turning to his mommy:

"Do I have to sit down?"

Tyon wasn't even surprised by this reaction and Alden did his best to hold back his laughter:

"Darling, you should do what your dad says.

-Okay."

And Amauri silently sat down next to his mommy. He then grabbed his mommy's hand and glared at his daddy.

"Did you understand why your father told you to sit down?

-Yes. Because it is dangerous to jump while the carriage is moving.

-You are really smart.

-Thank you mommy!"

Alden turned to Tyon and frowned trying to telepathically make him understand that he shouldn't talk so coldly to his child. Tyon got the message and looked away still irritated by the fact that he wasn't holding Alden's hand.