Chapter 7

Kristen

A couple days had gone by, I haven't talked to Jason or seen him. He's left a couple texts but I just ignored them. Shelby's dropped off and picked up Carter everyday this week. I can't help but miss his presence and urge to see me. But that doesn't matter today, today is Brett's arraignment and my parents and twin brothers came into town for it. Thankfully their not staying with me, they rented a hotel for the night and will leave this evening again if all goes as planned.

They pick me up at 8am and we head to the courthouse. I have a migraine by the time we get there and it's only a 10 minute drive. No one has shut up since. My brothers are wanting to get into a fist fight with him, my father is egging them on with their crazy ideas and my mother is reminding them that he's gonna get plenty of lessons learned behind bars.

"Why don't you guys head in, I'm gonna wait for Cassidy." I tell my family before my head explodes. I stand outside the courthouse and wait. A familiar truck parks in the lot.

"You're kidding me." I tell myself, it's Jason, he's in uniform and my knees go weak at the sight.

"What are you doing here?" I ask before he says as much as a hi.

"I'm a cop."

"And I'm a teacher." I say smartly.

"Very funny. I'm a cop meaning, I attend a lot of arrests in court." He tells me.

"Mhm." I roll my eyes.

"What? I do. It's Jim Thorpe, this shit doesn't happen often."

"Oh well I'm glad my trauma can be a source of entertainment for you." I say with attitude.

"Kristen not what I meant."

"Whatever but as far as your concerned you don't know me any further then an officer in the scene got it?" I tell him. I can't have my family know anything more then that. They're way too nosey.

"Yes ma'am." He says and I scowl at him, is he being sarcastic or is he just nice like that?

"Please go away." I tell him crossing my arms, then I see Cassidy walking towards me.

"Kris-" Jason starts to say my name but stops when he sees my attention is changed to Cassidy's presence.

"Hey!" Cassidy says and gives me a hug.

"Thanks for coming." I say and turn to head in with her. I left Jason high and dry but I don't care. I told him I didn't need a distraction but he showed up anyway. I will ignore him if I have to at this point.

"Was that..?" Cassidy wonders.

"Yeah. Let's not talk about it. My family's here and if they hear anything about that fiasco I'll never hear the end of it." I state. Cassidy agrees and we go and sit down with them.

While my family is talking to Cassidy and catching up my eye catches Jason coming in and sitting down in the back beside another officer who I don't recognize from being with me that night or any of the following. He was cute though too, which is actually crazy. Jim Thorpe has a population of less than 5,000 people, and your telling me our little police department consists of not just 2 but 3 hot cops? Jason, Zach and this guy now? I mean how insane.

Jason sees me looking back at him and I turn back around but it was too late, I feel very awkward now. Thankfully the judge and everyone enters the courtroom. My stomach twists in a thousand knots when I see Brett. He sees me right away too and I cringe. Cassidy grabs my hand and holds it even though it's sweaty. She's such a good friend.

The whole thing was over in 20 minutes. Brett pleaded guilty so there won't even be a trial or anything. That's it, she grants him 10 years in prison and it's over. I'm relived and thankful it's not going to be drawn out any longer.