[Chapter 19 - Surpises]

" Shit."

Lin Beifong was in her room, in Zaofu, when someone called her. It was someone special that hadn't talked with the chief in 12 years.

" Wow, nice reply, mom. "

" Sorry, kid, I mean Lyun. Why you called me?"

" We haven't talked in 12 years, for Tui sake!"

" Exactly, kiddo. I thought you were happy..."

" Mom, I'm 22 years old and my life isn't exactly the best and yesterday a psycho called me-"

" Wait, what? Who called you?"

" Some lady. "

" What was her name?"

" Satire-Samire..um..I think it was Sapphire. "

" You're okay, Lyun? I mean nothing happened, right?"

" Right. Why so nervous?"

" Nothing important it just that one crazy bitch is after us and she wants to kill Korra from what I've heard. "

" Oh my gosh. "

" Yeah, you should come here."

" Where?"

" Zaofu. I'm here...with the others."

" I thought you don't want to let me meet my family and your friends. "

" Look, Lyun, I told you how was the situation, your dad was with another woman when I was pregnant with you and I couldn't-"

" I know, mom. I wouldn't tell anyone that...I'm your daughter. "

" Good. See you in 2 days?"

" Sure, bye. "

" Goodbye, kiddo. "

Lin put the phone on the desk and she wiped the tears that formed in her eyes.

22 years since the day she had Lyun.

That girl grow up on her own, she was in Gaolin with one of her friends until now because Lin was afraid that someone could find out that she's Tenzin's daughter.

But now, when her only daughter is in danger Lin had no choice.

Even now she could remember the day when she found out that she was pregnant.

"Shit."

Lin Beifong's voice echoed through her apartment. She stared, feeling stunned, at the two lines glaring at her. Closing her eyes, she shook the device violently, hoping one of the lines would go away.

Two lines.

Goosebumps ran all over her skin, and she felt her eyes start to water. She was happy, all right- but what now? She can't just go barging into Air Temple Island - not after rampaging through it about a month ago.

How far along was she, anyway? Two months? She had that last encounter with Tenzin two months ago; she remembered walking into her apartment and seeing him seated on the couch, looking glum. Like some twisted custom, small talk turned into a fight, and the fight ended up with both of them having sex and being rough toward each other. Two months it is, then.

Throwing the test kit into the bin, she then looked at herself in the mirror.

'Is this how Mom felt when she found out all about me?'

"Apparently the fruit didn't fall far from the tree," she chuckled bitterly to herself. She's twenty-nine - blessed with a tall and willowy figure, raven hair and bright, emerald eyes. Everyone would agree that the police chief's daughter was a beauty, and she wasn't ignorant of the whisperings around HQ of what the rookie cops would want to do with her. Like her mother, Lin would at first strike many as being helpless, but once they witness her bending prowess, they were wont to change their opinion, and Lin made sure people would know. For this, she strove hard to rise through the ranks of Republic City's Metalbending Police - everyone would agree that she was almost as brilliant as her mother, the famous Toph Beifong, and that Lin had a promising future ahead of her.