Chapter 6. A Map

Agog (adj)

[Uh-gog]

Highly excited by eagerness, curiosity, anticipation, ect.

Cherie's POV

"Come on, Sachi, use your imagination! The kingdom is beautiful, why would it be horrid out there?"

Sachi sighs as she brushes a brown horse. Dirt wafts off it's hair somehow, despite the snow.

"God put those walls there, who else would have? And if those walls are there, that means God is protecting us from whatever is out there." She logically states.

I can't argue with her points, they are all good, understandable points. It's just frustrating that I seem to be the only one who is too curious to not know.

"You honestly think it's hell out there?" I ask her.

She nods, "what else would it be? When someone is banished, they are thrown over the wall, the people who are banished are sinners, Cherie. Sinners go to hell."

Keely's father somehow is a sinner and hasn't been thrown over that wall.

"I know, you're probably right." I roll my eyes, wishing I knew.

Her slanted eyes crease as she laughs, "I'm always right."

I laugh along with her. She usually is, she is one of the smartest people I know.

The horse makes a silly noise that only makes us laugh harder before an appalling smell hits our noses. It smells so pungent, it makes my stomach turn.

"The worst part about this job," Sachi grumbles, grabbing a long fork looking thing, "the smell is going to get worse once I move it, you might want to-"

"Already a step ahead of you." I hold my nose and get to a safe distance before letting it go.

Who knew horse poop smelled so disgusting.

I guess it's about time I get to work too, I wonder if Cynthia is there yet.

It hasn't snowed in days but the ground is still covered in it. I guess its been too cold for it to melt any. I miss seeing the greenery and the sound of chirping birds also, the sun being awake longer, days seem so short this time of year.

A line of women holding small children wait outside the small house we babysit in while it's cold.

"Come, come." I usher them inside as quickly as I can.

It's almost as cold in here as it is outside so I struggle to make a fire but finally make one by the stroke of luck and feed it into the fireplace.

"Where's Cynthia?" One of the young women ask me.

My fur covered shoulders kiss my ears, "I'm not sure, is there a message you'd like me to give her when she arrives?"

She lets down the small boy that has been wiggling to get down and play since he's gotten in here, "no, thank you though. I just know she takes good care of my boy. He um...he is mentally not all the way there." She whispers around the other mothers.

I take a moment, letting my brain wrap around what she's saying.

Oh! He's a tad mentally impaired.