Chapter 29. The Night Before

Incredulous (adj)

(Of a person or their manner) unwilling or unable to believe something

Cherie's POV

Bakkhos being so upset made me uneasy.

I wasn't afraid for myself, I was worried for anyone who would inadvertently press his buttons. Seeing someone die wasn't in the plans.

After the little moment Bakkhos and Zuko had, we met back up with Levi and Mavis, had some food and drinks, then we got to know each other a little more.

It's insane how differently they've lived their lives compared to me and Keely. They were truly free.

The cage that is Abandale isn't invisible, it's clear to see that we were locked in. We just thought we were free because we chose to not see it. We were and still are incredulous to the fact that we're trapped under the barbaric regime of the King and Queen who claim God as their leader but follow nothing of what God teaches.

It took me leaving to realize that.

Levi was quiet the whole night though. Behind those stormy blue eyes is a lot of...something and it's not happy. It's like he has a hard time looking at me but I catch him for a split second before he looks away.

Mavis on the other hand, she doesn't shy away from calling me beautiful every chance she gets. It was weird at first but now I find it endearing. I've never had another woman call me beautiful so much.

The rest of that night went by fast. After we ate we stayed at an Inn. I've never heard of one before but they are for people who are only visiting. How cool!

Before I could fall asleep, the memories of what happened with the Empress replayed in my head.

She told me why the walls were built. I don't know why I didn't jump for joy for finally knowing the answer to this mystery that plagued me for years. Maybe it was because I didn't like the answer.

It was bothering me all during dinner but luckily nobody seemed to noticed since Bakkhos' whole vibe was off. To be honest though, I'd want to hurt anyone who would put Amias in danger.

The next morning went by quick. We all had breakfast together, Bakkhos seemed a tad annoyed but a lot better from the day before.

Levi and Mavis decided together that they were going to join us on the adventure back to Wickhills. I'm kind of happy they did. It's hard to find a read on Levi, but Mavis is so wonderfully...well Mavis. Similar to how Wilder is just Wilder. Their personalities are totally unique and I can't wait to learn more about all of them.

Bakkhos and Zuko are similar. Zuko is a little more cold or standoffish but I don't find that to be such a horrible thing.

On the way back home, Mavis would hum this serene melody. I would want to complain every time she stopped, but that would only embarrass me. She helped the walk back tremendously though.

Bakkhos and Zuko have seemed to of made up when we got back to Wickhills, they are acting normal towards each other which I'm elated about because I like normal, I find comfort in normal.

Bakkhos has invited me to stay with him tonight while the others catch up. Honestly, being around all those people makes my heart race like its running for its life so its nice to be able to just be with Bakkhos and breathe for once in a few days.