Chapter 5. Till Death Do You Part

Insolence (noun)

[in-so-lens]

Arrogant or insulting conduct; bold behavior

Cherie's POV

Footsteps walk down the steps behind me, not just one, but three pairs.

One of them have to be this man I'm supposed to marry. Delroy.

I patiently wait for the footsteps to be at my side before turning to see who my soon to be husband is.

Slowly, lifting my gaze, I meet the same friendly brown eyes that I saw at the markets the other day. He was watching the altercation, being just as nosey as I was.

His skin has grown a tiny amount of stubble around his full lips. He's a handsome man, that's for sure.

He looks at me, "pleasure." He bows to show me respect.

The king and queen continue to talk to their guards, wondering why Delory was late.

"As my errand boy, you should never be late when requested, Delroy. This is your first offense and the day of your wedding; I'm feeling generous. I'll let you off with a warning." King Cassius explains.

He's the kings errand boy? Not the worst job possible. Any work within the castle gets better pay than work outside of it. My job pays me maybe three credits a day, his should be at least eight.

"Apologies, my king. The carriage on the way here popped a wheel." Delroy explains.

His voice is soft, not as deep as I thought it would sound, but still manly.

The ceremony continues. The priest makes us repeat things like how I vow to honor him and all that kind of stuff.

How am I supposed to honor someone I barely even know?

As he stands by my side, I notice how tall he is compared to me. He's maybe six or seven inches taller than me and I'm around average height for a woman, maybe a tad bit shorter.

"You may kiss your bride." The priest allows.

My eyes grow wide. I've completely forgotten about the kiss! I've never been kissed before...what if I do it wrong?

His head dips down towards my face, I hastily close my eyes to hide myself from the embarrassment of screwing up.

People watching my first kiss makes my nerves worse.

His pillow-like lips press against mine before quickly pulling away. He looks at me with a smile as my eyes open to greet him. His hand grasps mine, giving it a small squeeze.

"Now, you may have a moment alone while I prepare your carriage to bring you to your new home." King Cassius announces.

The king, queen, and priest leave the room as promised.

"Cherie." I bow my head to show him the same respect he's shown me.

I'm happy to see he is my age and not an old man, that would be a horror story.

"You're beautiful, Cherie. How old are you?" He asks.

"Eighteen winters, you?"

His jaw drops, "he wasted no time marrying you off. I'm nineteen winters."