Chapter 28. The Empress

Bountiful (adj)
Producing in abundance ; given or giving freely

Zuko's POV

After being rudely interrupted, I tell Levi and Mavis that we will meet up with them after we see the Empress.

It's been too long since Bakkhos and I have seen them, I bet Wilder misses them as well. Mavis and Levi grew up here in Windgrip while Bakkhos and I grew up in Wickhills and Wilder grew up at The Falls. Whenever our families traveled, we'd always see each other. Although our parents have always been close friends, we were closer.

Levi recently went through something. I heard it through the grapevine and Bakkhos was even shocked. He was in love with this woman, we've only seen her twice. She was nice. I'm not sure what happened and I'm not going to ask and open that wound for him, even Mavis loved her but Levi was infatuated.

We walk through a large home with a few people cleaning around and making drink.

I stop outside an opening, knowing the Empress is on the other side of this wall, "we won't leave your side," I reassure Cherie who is currently trembling.

My poor kitten.

She gives me a small nod so I turn the corner.

Her throne room is just as I remembered it.

Man-made pools of water line the sides of the grey stone walkway. A short flight of stairs is at each side of us and then another right next to them and one short flight in front of the throne. Arches form the ceiling while plates hang out from the walls with candles burning on with a light glow. Her throne is made in connection to a large Willow tree who's branches weep lowly with slender green leaves that frame where she sits which is a throne made of stone, branches, and bark from the very Willow tree it's connected to. Simple yet stunning.

Cherie gasps from beside me, taking in the sight before her.

Our feet clank against the stone as we walk up to the Empress. She resembles her mother, who was Empress before her tragic passing.

Cherie freezes in front of her, eyes wide and mouth gaped.

Bakkhos and I look at each other then at her as she bends her knees with her head down.

What the hell?

When her eyes meet mine as she returns to her upright position, she gives me a bewildered expression.

"A sign of respect, boys," the Empress announces with her powerfully feminine voice.

Cherie's knees tremble so I rest my hand on the small of her back to help keep her steady.

"We are here to answer your calling," I state respectfully.

Our Empress is beautiful. Short tight ringlets sit atop her head, although her hair is short, it's neatly styled and rich black in color. Black makeup lines her face from the bridge of her nose and it fades upwards into her dark skin, completely faded on her forehead. She wears rings from rocks her people have gifted to her and a staff made from the bones and wood. She is elegant but it's different from Cherie's elegance. It's a wild elegance not many possess. Even the ink in her skin demands attention.

"I wanted to meet our new friend," she states, standing from her throne and walking towards us, "nobody knows much about her," she stops in front of Cherie.