Chapter 35. Pointing Fingers

Grame (adj)

Anger; wrath; wrath; scorn; grief, misery

Cherie's POV

Bakkhos' muscles in his jaw are flexing and his eyes are a shade darker. He's angry, rightfully so.

I hold the fur close to my chest, feeling too naked for this kind of confrontation.

"How about you meet us in the common room," Zuko instructs Bakkhos as he notices how uncomfortable I am.

Bakkhos furrows his eyebrows but does as he's told.

Zuko looks to me with an obvious curious expression as he hands me my discarded clothing.

This is too stressful. I think to myself as I quickly throw the clothes on. My fingers get caught in my curls, making me think that it's about time that I detangle my hair again.

"Is it true?" Zuko finally questions me.

I nod, not wanting to say it out loud.

I knew I'd have to tell them or talk about it eventually, it's just that I didn't expect to be hit with it first thing in the morning...right after doing something so intimate.

After Zuko puts his bottoms on, he leads us into the common area where Bakkhos is sitting on one of the benches.

His foot is tapping against the ground as he impatiently waits for us to come out of the room.

It's like I've swallowed my own tongue. I want to say something, something to make him feel better but nothing will come out. Nothing could help this situation anyways.

"Why are your people asking for war?" Bakkhos asks.

I shrug, "I don't know why the King declared it."

Zuko huffs with grame as he sits next to Bakkhos. They both look at me for answers while I feel as if I have none.

"What do you mean you don't know? They are your people!" Bakkhos exclaims, anger evident in his voice.

My body's first instinct is to cower away from him. I don't enjoy being yelled at.

Mavis and Levi come out of the room, looking as confused as ever.

"What's wrong," Mavis looks between all three of us.

Bakkhos runs his fingers through his thick dark brown hair, "Cherie's people want a war," he explains plainly.

Mavis' eyes lock with mine, fear flashing through them, "why?"

"She doesn't know," Bakkhos answers for me.

His tone of voice is harsher than it usually is.

I don't want you to blame me.

"Listen, those aren't her people anymore," Zuko begins to defend me, "she only has people there. She's one of us now, so is Keely."

I take note of Levi walking away. He goes back into the room and I'm not oblivious to the slight sniffle noise he makes.

Mavis looks down at her feet, her happy eyes turn downwards.

"Is he alright?" I ask her, knowing something is up.

She shakes her head, "he's healing."

Vague.

As she turns to leave, I put my hand on her shoulder, "please tell me how I can fix it. It's my fault."