Chapter 7. Love Advice

Spry (adj)

[sp-rye]

Moving quickly and lightly

Cherie's POV

Snow has finally vanished from the ground, I can actually see it for the first time since a few weeks ago when the first snow happened. It's still cold, but the lack of snow makes it a little easier to be outside.

The markets are unoccupied today, only a few people are shopping other than Sachi and Keely who are with me.

"So, tell us about him." Keely nudges me.

I laugh, knowing that swallowing the details is driving them insane.

"His name is Delroy."

"Delroy." Sachi copies with a nod.

"He's very sweet, nice, handsome, kind. My parents enjoy him and Amias doesn't like him much but that's only because he thinks Delroy stole me from him." I giggle at the end.

"Why do I feel like there's a 'but'?" Keely asks with suspicion prominent in her voice.

Because there is.

"But-" I look at her, "I'm not sure if I like him as much as I should. The other night, he called me 'babe' and I didn't feel giddy, happy, or excited. Aren't I supposed to feel something?"

Sachi puts her hand on my shoulder, "it'll come, just give it time. He's sweet and handsome, you said it yourself. You haven't named a bad quality so I believe evil is just trying to mess with your head."

I can see where that would make sense. There isn't anything wrong with Delroy, I just don't feel that kind of connection with him yet for some reason. I want to, and I want to want that.

"I say that's a bunch of malarkey," Keely states, "you can't force yourself to love someone. I've been trying to love people other than you two for as long as I can remember. I just can't. And that's fine, you don't need to love anyone, especially someone you were forced to marry."

"God picked Delroy out for her." Sachi states as she picks out a few potatoes.

Keely rolls her eyes, not believing it for a second.

For once, I think I might actually fall closer to Keely's side. Maybe I can't force myself to love him, but like Sachi said, I sure can try.

I carefully pick out each food, inspect it, pay, then throw it in my basket.

"Did you love your husband right away, Sachi?" I pry into her relationship.

Her and her husband respect each other so much that they rarely talk about one another. I've only met him a handful of times, but I never remember his name because he doesn't even look at me or anyone that's a woman while speaking. I guess he took the 'if your eyes cause you to sin, pluck them out' thing seriously. Do men really sin just by looking at another woman?

"No. It took me a few weeks to finally consummate the marriage. He was respectful and waited, to me, that's love. I fell in love with him by his actions. And proving actions take time." She explains.

I nod, maybe after a few more weeks I'll finally start to feel things more seriously for him.

To be honest, I feel a tad guilty for not feeling more.