Chapter 1. Abandale

Cherie's POV

Mundane (adj)

Very ordinary and therefore not interesting

Chilled air scratches my bare fingers. I hope these Hickory nuts are worth it. Momma and I are supposed to bake cookies for later tonight after supper but the freezing wind is beginning to freeze the thin skin on my fingers.

The trees have a sparkled dusting of snow on the leaves, getting whiter and whiter the higher the tree is.

My feet crunch in the ground that is overcome with the fluffy snow blanket engulfing it. I love this sound, even more than the sound of crunchy leaves in the Autumn.

Winters in Abandale can be rough. Sometimes, on particularly bad winters, snowfall can damage the roofing on homes, freeze door handles so your warm hand sticks to the ice cold knob then you have to rip it off and hope the knob doesn't take some skin with it, and some people get so sick and some freeze due to their fire burning out in their sleep.

My hands become numb as I gather the Hickory nuts into my small woven basket.

The basket is halfway full. Just a little longer, my fingers won't fall off.

"Hey!"

I jump and almost face-plant into the snow.

"Jeez, Sachi! You scared me." I huff and pick up the nuts that almost escaped execution.

Light laughter fills the bitter air, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sneak up on you. I was at the markets and saw you come into the forest, I thought I'd say hi before meeting up with Keely for dinner."

I smile. Sachi can be so thoughtful.

"Is her dad drunk again?" I ask.

Sachi's scarf covered shoulders kiss her ears, "all I know is that she came by the stables earlier today and asked if we could get food at the chophouse tonight. She looked a little upset but not drunk dad upset, you know?"

Sachi has worked at the stable for a few years now. It's her dream job and she was lucky enough for King Cassius to give it to her. I on the other hand, babysit children too young for school. Some of the toddlers just go bananas, but others are complete angels.

"Meet us later tonight at the tavern?" She asks while beginning to walk towards the chophouse.

"Yeah! I'll see you guys later." I wave her off.

I hastily try to gather up more Hickory nuts until the basket is full enough to head home. I need to get there quick before my fingers fall off.

My house isn't too far from the forest. I like it, my bedroom faces the trees and in the summer, sometimes I get lucky and see little rabbits hop around in the morning and squirrels chase each other through the trees.

Once I make it out of the small forest, I'm met with rows of houses made out of Douglas Fir wood, a strong, sturdy base for a house.

As soon as you walk in, my house is full of warmth from the wood burning stove my mom has been using all day. Every Sunday, we have a family feast. My mom, dad, little brother, and my papa sit down and enjoy a meal that my mom and I work on pretty much all day. My little brother, Amias, tries to help, but he is too small for a lot of things.