Chapter 10. Cannibals

Gaunt (adj)

Very thin, especially because of sickness or hunger

Cherie's POV

I sit for hours, watching as they eat that poor human.

None of them speak a word, they rarely even make sounds. Very different from how meals at my house were. Amias would always talk with his mouth full of food.

Amias. I thought to myself, letting another tear escape.

They all huddle inside the few shelters they've built. They look to be poorly made with sticks and mud.

At least they are out of sight. I can trust that I wont be burned to a crisp tonight.

A wave of calmness washes over me knowing they are sleeping for the night. So I just lean my head against the trunk of the tree and look at the stars while strange things around me chirp and make a weird noise.

I can't see what these things are but they are all around. They seem harmless though, it seems like they just make noise. It's comforting though, it sounds like hundreds are around me as they try to lull me into sleeping.

I try to look around one more time to try and figure out what that chirping sound it coming from, but instead I find piercing blue eyes.

What animal could that be?

They blue eyes wander around the camp until they land on me.

My lungs refuse air to come in or go out, thinking that if I don't move, it can't see me.

Whatever was chirping stops as this animal with intense blue eyes comes closer to the camp of wild beasts.

I can't hear the footsteps but I notice that whatever it is, is tall.

I close my eyes, hoping it eats me before these people do. At least I'll be a healthy satisfying meal for an animal instead of a meal for some crazed humans.

Once the animal gets closer, I finally begin to hear the hushed footsteps it makes. There aren't as many as I thought I'd hear, it sounds like it's walking slowly on two legs.

Opening my eyes to check out the animal, my stomach twists into many different knots.

That's not an animal at all.

A large, muscular man walks around the camp. He looks inside the poorly built homes without making a single noise. If I were blind, I wouldn't even know this...very attractive man was here.

His hair is dampened and hung in his face, it's dark along with his neatly sculpted facial hair that accentuates his heart shaped lips. He's not an angel, no. He seems much darker than an angel. He must be the Hell people of Abandale speake of. His presence screams power, authority, strength, and something sinister. He looks as if he could snap my bones in a matter of seconds between two fingers.

My heart beats quicker as he gets closer and closer to me. With each step, I have to remind myself to not look at him in the eyes. Not again, he's much more frightening than King Cassius and even he doesn't like to be looked directly in the eye.

"A man was here. Have you seen him?" A deep, gruff voice hits my ears, making my stomach curl in ways it's never done before. It wasn't a sick feeling, but I can't describe it.