Chapter 37. Scarring Eyes

Cruor (n)

Blood, gore; murder, bloodshed

Cherie's POV

Rabiah and Keely came back late last night. So late that I was almost in too deep of a sleep to hear them talking to Zuko and Bakkhos.

Since the war was threatened, we have all been sleeping under one roof. Zuko has the biggest home in this town so there is room for everyone. Rabiah and Keely insist on staying in there own home though. Something about the Fertility Festival and not wanting to be around so many men.

I'm still not fully versed on what the festival entails.

Rabiah told Zuko and Bakkhos that the Empress took a while to figure out how she wanted her people to react, but in the end she decided that she wanted us to wait until King Cassius made his first move and then we will retaliate. I don't really like that idea very much. The King could have many tricks up his sleeve. Cruor could follow and lead to the downfall of my new people. My new family.

My opinion on the matter is frivolous. I know nothing about war, how to prevent one, or how to fight in one. I know Bakkhos and the other may listen to my thoughts and feelings but the Empress would probably look at me like I've grown a few extra heads. I have to trust her and her decision, she's much more knowledgeable on war than I probably ever will be.

I walk out of the home this morning to an unusual cool breeze.

Maybe this means summer is finally coming to an end. I'm so ready for summer to be over. I'm tired of sweating, my clothes feeling all sticky, feeling over heated, and most of all, I'm sick of being so uncomfortable in the heat. Colder weather calls my name!

As I walk outside, I notice an older woman, maybe forty something winters old, knelt over, picking weeds out of her flower garden. The only odd thing is that she is totally naked. As bare as the day she was born.

I quickly look away, not wanting to further scar my eyes from the ungodly sight of her in my head.

I don't want to embarrass her, I'll just pretend that I didn't see her.

My journey towards Keely and Rabiah's house continues. I miss spending time with them both. Rabiah and I got close when we ventured to Abandale together.

It's pretty early in the morning, nobody was awake when I left.

Passing a large rock, I notice a small, chunky, bald man with a round belly stretching in front of his home. Totally naked. Crazily exposed.

Uncomfortably, our eyes meet and he smiles. My heart beat rises to my ears as fear takes over. I don't know why he's approaching me or why he's naked but I need to abort mission.

I quickly pick up my pace and run away from him. I probably look like one of those deer animals while running. I can't exactly feel my feet hitting the ground from how scared I am.

My breathing is rapid by the time I make it to Rabiah's small shack.

I don't even knock before running through the door, accidentally slamming it beside me.

Smacking noises I heard for a slight moment quickly stop.

I look to the side, feeling their presence beside me where Rabiah's bed is.